Saw Set?

The current FWW has an article on hand saw sharpening that's grabbed my interest. In the article, a tool known as a "Saw Set" is mentioned. The only example of this tool I can find for sale is at Garrett Wade. A few questions:

Does anyone know where else to get a saw set?

Brand names to seek or avoid?

Can you add any other information?

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Haunt garage sales and flea markets. They turn up pretty frequently, and the old ones were made durable enough to last several lifetimes. I have an old one and a 'modern' one. The old one is lots easier to use and adjust. I think Stanley may still make them. That's what my 'new' one is. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

They appear to come in different sizes. How would I know what I'm looking at?

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Haunt garage sales and flea markets. They turn up pretty frequently, and the old ones were made durable enough to last several lifetimes. I have an old one and a 'modern' one. The old one is lots easier to use and adjust. I think Stanley may still make them. That's what my 'new' one is. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I don't know how I got a doubled post, but to answer your question: saws come in a wide range of tooth sizes, from crosscut saws with 1" teeth down to razor saws. A good saw set will be adjustable to handle most of the sizes but most cheaper sets will only work in a limited range for handsaws. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Thanks!

Reply to
B a r r y

Ebay is where I got mine.

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
Joseph Connors

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Good advice. My favorite is A Taintor's Positive #7, but the Stanley is pretty good as well. I don't think the Stanley is still made and I know the Taintors isn't. Here's one on Ebay:

that picture, I can't tell if anything is missing, but the fact the spring is still there is encouraging.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Hi Barry,

The saw set I use came from Highland Hardware:

set covers the point size that you'd typically use when sharpening dovetail or other fine backsaws. They also sell the fine Nicholson triangular files that you'd need (note: I've heard that Sandvik files are better than Nicholson, but I've never been able to find a source for Sandvik extra and xx slim files).

Lee Valley also has a saw set, but it only goes to 12ppi, which is a bit coarse for most backsaws.

Sharpening and setting your own is pretty easy and very rewarding, especially for a rip pattern. I learned how using the instructions at Vintage Saws,

luck, Nate

Reply to
nperkins2006

Wed, Feb 15, 2006, 1:20pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Joseph=A0Connors) doth say: Ebay is where I got mine.

Me too, but it's absolutely essential to check the shipping price before you bid. You can really get shafted, if you don't.

So far, I've always remembered to check the shipping before I bid. Passed up bidding on some nice stuff, but the shipping woulda made it cost waaaay too much.

JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?

Reply to
J T

Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I bought it.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

There are ususally several used models in various conditions available on ebay at any given time. I got a nice plier-type made by Millers Falls a few years ago. For the older ones, Stanley, Millers Falls, and Disston are a few of the more common names.

Reply to
lwasserm