Sanding small peices of wood

When I was building models, I'd either hold a sanding block in a vise, or use PSA paper on a flat surface. I would then use my finger tips to move the work back and forth on the sand paper. Friction tape on the finger tips can help.

Friction tape:

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Hello,

How do you sand small, more or less flat peices of wood (such as a 4" * 1/2"

  • 1/8" peice) on the "flat" side? the problem that I am having is that I can not hold the peice properly in order to sand it.. what tricks are you using?

thanks, cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de brébisson

Lay them on a piece of sandpaper (to keep them somewhat stationary) and use a 1/4 pad sander. If that doesn't work well enough for you, consider double faced tape to hold them down.

David

cyrille de brébiss> Hello,

Reply to
David

I use a piece of that rubber mesh stuff that you use to line tool box drawers.. usually black and in small rolls..

It grips the work and also allows the dust to sift through the pores/openings..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

A piece of high density carpet pad works well, too, and cutoffs/castoffs can usually be had for nothing from an installer/distributor...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I use a Vacuum Clamp for this type of stuff. I couldn't think of a better way. Works a treat!

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
70 woodworking product reviews online! WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today!

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Reply to
Woodcrafter