Sale on Forstners

Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells? They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.
They're here: http://tinyurl.com/36yarp
Thanks.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop /
Smaller set, check it out. http://us.f811.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId 03_15916728_1234894_1573_4825_0_147944_16068_2019367402&Idx#&YY#204&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&inc%&order=down&sortte&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox

Jimmy wrote:

http://us.f811.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId 03_15916728_1234894_1573_4825_0_147944_16068_2019367402&Idx#&YY#204&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&inc%&order=down&sortte&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Inbox
True, they're different sized sets, but I'm mostly looking to find if anyone has ever used the CTC Forstners, and what they think of them.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop /

Look at it this way. You get a nice box. In reality, you will probably only ever use a few sizes to any extent. When they wear out, replace them with high quality bits and you still have the others for the occasional hole of that size you may need. My Forstner use is about 40% 3/4", 55% 3/8", and the rest combined the other 5%.
"Tanus" wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?
LOOKS LIKE STANDARD CHEAP GARBAGE TO ME.
> I don't mind saving a few > bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.
CRAP IS WHAT YOU WILL GET.
Lew

General consensus seems to be that these things won't last that long. I don't have a pressing need for Forstner bits, as I don't have a drill press, but thought I'd take advantage of a sale. Maybe, on second thought, I'll just pick up onsies and twosies at LV as the need arises.
Thanks.
Tanus
Tanus wrote:
> I don't have a pressing need for Forstner bits, as I don't have a > drill press, but thought I'd take advantage of a sale. Maybe, on > second thought, I'll just pick up onsies and twosies at LV as the need > arises.
Go carbide when you do.
I have a Freud set that was about $90 USD when I bought it.
They work for me.
Add some brad point drills to cover the 1/4-1/2 range and you are good to go.
Lew

After reading your post I went and bought a set yesterday, got home, took a look at them and returned them today, very poor quality.
Home Depot has pretty good ones, paid about $10.00 for a 7/8" a while ago, probably better to just buy them as needed.
FrankC
--
http://doit101.com

Frank Campbell wrote:

Hi Frank,
I think that's likely what I'll do. I didn't bother getting them because of what some folks had said just looking at the CTC site. But as someone mentioned, earlier and as you've said, getting one or two when you need them is likely the best way to build up a stock.
Tanus