Safe Safe Safety (or Thank Heaven for Push Blocks)

Hi all,
Been a long time since I posted here. Probably because that after awhile, the posts all seem to run together. Anyway, safe practices prevent accidents. For instance, in my shop I have been guilty of not using the push blocks when face planing a board on the jointer. Just the other day, I was preparing an oak board and as is my practice, I laid the board face down on the jointer to make one side flat. My gut feeling kicked in and I grabbed the push blocks. Good thing for gut feelings, because as I was half way through the board, the board came apart and my push block and my hand went head first into 4 spinning blades on my 12" jointer. Of course, the push block saved my hand. In fact, I don't think I have ever moved my hand as fast as I did that day. The push block didn't fair so well.
Use your safety equipment!!
-- Regards,
Joey Lowe
"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does. You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Paying attention to that feeling can make all the difference. I've never had a serious accident, but there are several times where I told myself "don't worry about it" and of course I should have.
-Jack
Joey Lowe wrote:

Well that got the old sphincter clenched up. Make a new push block before you get on that machine again.     j4
"Joey Lowe" wrote in message

I was milling up some 12/4 stock for table legs yesterday and a friend came by as I was jointing the faces ... wanted to know if I always used pushblocks on such thick stock ... I'll print out your post for him.
BTW, nice drive by ... you suck, or still suck ... whichever fits best..
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03