Safe Safe Safety (or Thank Heaven for Push Blocks)

Hi all,

Been a long time since I posted here. Probably because that after awhile, the posts all seem to run together. Anyway, safe practices prevent accidents. For instance, in my shop I have been guilty of not using the push blocks when face planing a board on the jointer. Just the other day, I was preparing an oak board and as is my practice, I laid the board face down on the jointer to make one side flat. My gut feeling kicked in and I grabbed the push blocks. Good thing for gut feelings, because as I was half way through the board, the board came apart and my push block and my hand went head first into 4 spinning blades on my 12" jointer. Of course, the push block saved my hand. In fact, I don't think I have ever moved my hand as fast as I did that day. The push block didn't fair so well.

Use your safety equipment!!

-- Regards,

Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does. You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Reply to
Joey Lowe

Paying attention to that feeling can make all the difference. I've never had a serious accident, but there are several times where I told myself "don't worry about it" and of course I should have.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Well that got the old sphincter clenched up. Make a new push block before you get on that machine again. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

I was milling up some 12/4 stock for table legs yesterday and a friend came by as I was jointing the faces ... wanted to know if I always used pushblocks on such thick stock ... I'll print out your post for him.

BTW, nice drive by ... you suck, or still suck ... whichever fits best..

Reply to
Swingman

Hi Joey, long time no read!

I often wonder about the names given to some safety equipment. Why "push blocks"? Why not "sacrificial hands" instead.

You've got good instincts, but I have to ask - "why just that time? What if your instinct fails you tomorrow?".

Be careful out there, it's hard to open presents with stumps for hands.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy