Ryobi, why no demand for it?

Page 1 of 2
Looking over Ebay auctions, I noiced that Ryobi tools are going for way less than other brands and most don't have any bids. I've always thought Ryobi to be a decent DYI brand, good for the price at least. Perhaps a step above B&D, on par with Skil, but definitely below PC. But it looks like people are actually avoiding Ryobi at the (IMHO) decent prices and paying 2-3x for a Dewalt. Personally I don't understand the Dewalt craze. You'd think at least frugal woodworkers like myself would rather have a cheapie Ryobi than no tool at all.
I bring this up because I got a used 12V 3/8" drill kit (2 batteries + charger) for $30, which I thought was an okay price, at a local shop. I'm very happy with it even though 12V is now outdated. I started looking up other Ryobi tools and realized few people talk about it and even fewer places sell it. Do many fellow woodworkers follow the all-or-nothing philosophy? Get the best you can afford or don't get it?? Andy
"> I'm very happy with it even though 12V is now outdated. I beg your pardon I just got a 9.6v because it is what I need, outdated my aunt fannie.
Ryobi is a "good" brand going down hill fast. I have an older ryobi trim router and just lost my old ryobi driver (9.6v thank you) and both were/are good tools. I know of several other older ryobi tools that are in simicommercial use and holding up well. (older being 10+years). The new roybi tools that I have seen and used are about on or under par with most of the cheaper Wal-Mart tools. When roybi went with Sears they seemed to have lost a lot of quality, and for the price are not a good buy. JMHO.
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:08:02 -0600, "Sweet Sawdust"
A Ryobi 16/32 drum sander sold for $200 at an auction site (not Ebay). I too was puzzle, so I did a search on Ryobi's drum sander and could find anything about it. Anyone using a Ryobi drum sander?

I meant 12V is outdated by marketing standards, not that they're no longer useful. Same idea as last year's 2.4 GHz Pentium IV being "outdated" by the current generation of processors. Both will run day-to-day tasks like a champ, but somehow you now need 3.0GHz to browse the web or burn a DVD. At least that's what they want you to think.
Marketing?? Is that the same as BS?

Well... If you take the BS, dry it, spray paint it gold, mount it on a plaque, call it "Meadow Muffins" and sell it for $24.95, then yes, it's very similar indeed.
Bruce
I bought a Ryobi 12v battery powered drill from HD some time back. Exactly 1 year from my purchase date (h'mmm) the batteries would no longer hold a charge longer than about 4 hours. They worked great, buy you had to leave the a battery in the charger all the time.
This tells me the batteries were shot. Buying two new batteries cost more than the drill so I threw it out as junk.
I bought a Makita 12V at HD for $20 more than the Ryobi (it was a closeout special ;> ) and have had it for several years and it is great. The batteries are always in the state of charge that I left them in.
So, to be honest I would really shy away from anything Ryobi in the future.
You get what you pays for and you pay for what you get is my motto. Chris

I have a 14.4 Ryobi drill, vintage 2000. The drill is used almost daily, and the batteries still have about 3/4 of their capacity. It's only an ok drill, but the battery life I've gotten out of it is far better than any of the other name-brand tools I have.
Same here. Kids bought me a 14.4v Ryobi trim saw/drill combo for Father's Day a few years ago. I took the saw (less than a year old at the time) and two fully charged batteries to a local place where I buy baltic birch. I needed to rip 2 sheets of 1/2" baltic so they would fit in the SUV. I am not making this up - the trim saw cut exactly 2 feet on each battery before dying. A sheet of baltic is 5' long. Fortunately, the yard had a hand saw that I could finish the cut with.
I was at the same yard two days ago with my almost new Milwaukee 18v trim saw and two batteries. I bought four sheets of 1/2" baltic. The Milwaukee breezed right through all four cuts with plenty of battery to spare.
It boils down to buying quality tools. A used quality tool is better than a new, cheap tool.
I still have the Ryobi set and will let it go for a song.

When I think back on all the crap Ive learned in highschool Its a wonder I can think at all Though my lack of education hasnt hurt me much I can read the writings on the walls
Chorus: Kodachrome, they give us those nice bright colours They give us the greens of summers Makes you think all the worlds a sunny day, oh yeah I got a nikon camera, I love to take a photograph So mama dont take my kodachrome away
If you took all the girls I knew when I was single Brought em all together for one night I know theyd never match my sweet imagination Everything looks better in black and white
Chorus
Mama dont take my kodachrome away, mama dont take my kodachrome away Mama dont take my kodachrome away
Mama dont take my kodachrome, mama dont take my kodachrome Mama dont take my kodachrome away Mama dont take my kodachrome and leave your boy so far from home Mama dont take my kodachrome away Mama dont take my kodachrome, whew whew, mama dont take my kodachrome away
Will pay shipping. Remove dot mapson for e-mail. :)

Snip
sorry, not a song. simply lyrics... ;~)

DANG!
I went through the same thing with the same Ryobi drill about 4 years ago. I bought a Dewalt for the same price as two replacement ryobi batteries and it's still going strong!
-Keith
On 7 Jan 2005 06:30:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@movingpart.com wrote:

Many years ago, ummm late 1980's it was pretty good. Since then it has basically gone the route of B&D. I would not put it above B&D IMHO. Probably good for the price but you know what they say about the price.

If you work with a tool all day long, you start to appreciate the differences.

Some do.

I would venture to say that 90% of purchasers are buying large voltage cordless drills for the same reason the 60 year old neighbor just traded in his 4 door sedan for a new Corvette. Typically a 9.6 or 12 volt will do what 90% of larger voltage drill owners end up using their drills for with less weight and typically longer battery life. I have been using 9.6 volt drills for 14 + years and have only recently moved up to 12 volt.
Leon wrote:

That's what keeps the Walmarts of the world happy at night...they know the bulk of the buying public is interested in initial cost only...
Manufacturers trying for a piece of that market have to try to produce product at a price point often actually mandated to them by the retailer and hope they can keep enough quality to not be <total> junk. For those who want to target the higher end amateur and the professional market as well as the cost-conscious market, this becomes a losing battle--one either has to have the resources to support two product lines or give up and chase the low-ball market.
IMO, $0.02, etc...

Life in the fast lane is not over once you turn 60... I can tell you tat for sure...
But to be honest getting the ok from my wife to add another Corvette to the "fleet" in the garage may be a little difficult... not really lol !
I personally like 14.4 V drills etc... hell at my age I do not have the strenght to lift them heavy 18 V monsters...
Bob 68 SS 396 Chevelle 61 64 72 76 & 95 Corvettes

I was picturing my neighbor that just bought in the last 3 or 4 years, a 30th anniversary Trans Am, a 50 commemorative Burgundy Corvette, and a few months ago 1 new Lexus SUV, the big one. He traded in to 2 Crown Vic's. It is a scream watching him crawl in and out of either car and he cannot turn the wheel on either with out stopping and repositioning his hands for each 5 or 6 inches of movement of the wheel. He also just got a 18 volt B&D Drill. LOL

Exactly.. I am no wimp and about 11 years behind you but 9-12 volts are plenty heavy for me. LOL..

Now out of all those Corvettes, why do you keep the 76??? IIRC the HP on those years was pretty skinny. 165 ish..

Stock HP was only 180 ...(It is a L48 not the 210 HP L-82) and it always could lay rubber in 1st,2nd,3rd and chirp the tires in 4th...
BUT it is NOWHERE near stock anymore... AND I get lots of smiles per mile out of it and that is all that counts...
Bob

friend that I grew up with. When we were in our late teens he had a 70 Firebird. We tinkered with it a bit. Oddly a 3 speed floor shift. He broke his leg so he used his crutch to push on the gas and right foot on the clutch to get going from a stop. After that he use his right foot on the gas and could the tires loose shifting into 2nd and top gear with out the clutch.
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:04:41 -0500, Bob G.

The 76 was the last Corvette to Carry the "word" Stingray on her fenders.... Bob