Ryobi, why no demand for it?

Looking over Ebay auctions, I noiced that Ryobi tools are going for way less than other brands and most don't have any bids. I've always thought Ryobi to be a decent DYI brand, good for the price at least. Perhaps a step above B&D, on par with Skil, but definitely below PC. But it looks like people are actually avoiding Ryobi at the (IMHO) decent prices and paying 2-3x for a Dewalt. Personally I don't understand the Dewalt craze. You'd think at least frugal woodworkers like myself would rather have a cheapie Ryobi than no tool at all.

I bring this up because I got a used 12V 3/8" drill kit (2 batteries + charger) for $30, which I thought was an okay price, at a local shop. I'm very happy with it even though 12V is now outdated. I started looking up other Ryobi tools and realized few people talk about it and even fewer places sell it. Do many fellow woodworkers follow the all-or-nothing philosophy? Get the best you can afford or don't get it?? Andy

Reply to
Andrew

"> I'm very happy with it even though 12V is now outdated.

I beg your pardon I just got a 9.6v because it is what I need, outdated my aunt fannie.

Ryobi is a "good" brand going down hill fast. I have an older ryobi trim router and just lost my old ryobi driver (9.6v thank you) and both were/are good tools. I know of several other older ryobi tools that are in simicommercial use and holding up well. (older being 10+years). The new roybi tools that I have seen and used are about on or under par with most of the cheaper Wal-Mart tools. When roybi went with Sears they seemed to have lost a lot of quality, and for the price are not a good buy. JMHO.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

A Ryobi 16/32 drum sander sold for $200 at an auction site (not Ebay). I too was puzzle, so I did a search on Ryobi's drum sander and could find anything about it. Anyone using a Ryobi drum sander?

Reply to
WD

I bought a Ryobi 12v battery powered drill from HD some time back. Exactly 1 year from my purchase date (h'mmm) the batteries would no longer hold a charge longer than about 4 hours. They worked great, buy you had to leave the a battery in the charger all the time.

This tells me the batteries were shot. Buying two new batteries cost more than the drill so I threw it out as junk.

I bought a Makita 12V at HD for $20 more than the Ryobi (it was a closeout special ;> ) and have had it for several years and it is great. The batteries are always in the state of charge that I left them in.

So, to be honest I would really shy away from anything Ryobi in the future.

You get what you pays for and you pay for what you get is my motto. Chris

Reply to
cdubea

I meant 12V is outdated by marketing standards, not that they're no longer useful. Same idea as last year's 2.4 GHz Pentium IV being "outdated" by the current generation of processors. Both will run day-to-day tasks like a champ, but somehow you now need 3.0GHz to browse the web or burn a DVD. At least that's what they want you to think.

Reply to
Andrew

Many years ago, ummm late 1980's it was pretty good. Since then it has basically gone the route of B&D. I would not put it above B&D IMHO. Probably good for the price but you know what they say about the price.

If you work with a tool all day long, you start to appreciate the differences.

I would venture to say that 90% of purchasers are buying large voltage cordless drills for the same reason the 60 year old neighbor just traded in his 4 door sedan for a new Corvette. Typically a 9.6 or 12 volt will do what 90% of larger voltage drill owners end up using their drills for with less weight and typically longer battery life. I have been using 9.6 volt drills for 14 + years and have only recently moved up to 12 volt.

Reply to
Leon

That's what keeps the Walmarts of the world happy at night...they know the bulk of the buying public is interested in initial cost only...

Manufacturers trying for a piece of that market have to try to produce product at a price point often actually mandated to them by the retailer and hope they can keep enough quality to not be junk. For those who want to target the higher end amateur and the professional market as well as the cost-conscious market, this becomes a losing battle--one either has to have the resources to support two product lines or give up and chase the low-ball market.

IMO, $0.02, etc...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
chasbec

I own 2 Ryobi tools ( 16" scrollsaw & bench drill press ) and am happy with both. Ryobi is a GOOD brand in my book. Incidentally, I bought both on ebay.

Joe

Andrew wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Reply to
Lee K

IMHO, way too many people are hung up on name brands and brand image. Most of the time, there is no reason for a homeowner or light DIYer to buy the same top quality tools that professionals need.

Ryobi and many other brands that people turn their nose up at offer excellent value for the less than full time user. You can get a Craftsman 19.2 volt combo with 2 batteries, a 1/2" drill, a circular saw and a bonus flourescent light for $159. Lowes sells the same combo with the Dewalt brand (which is only 18 volts), minus the light for $349.99. And if you are willing to go with the lower voltages, the bargains can be even more amazing.

And let's face it, most home users are never going to actually wear the tool out before the batteries die and that's where they really get you. A Craftsman 19.2 volt battery is $59.99 but Lowes sells a Porter Cable battery for $86.67. For the price of 2 PC baterries you can buy an entirely new Craftsman kit. I am not too proud to by a Ryobi or a Craftsman for tools that I know I am not going to use a lot. Just my 2 cents worth... Chuck

Reply to
chasbec

I've got 2 decent Ryobi tools; the OSS and the 3x21 belt sander that looks similar to a Bosch. I've had the belt sander for over 12 years and it still works fine. I've had the OSS about 6-8 months, IIRC.

OTOH, their 4-1/2" ROS is a POS, IMHO.

David

Andrew wrote:

Reply to
David

"Lee K" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Think this is a case of YMMV... I've had the set w/ the drill/circsaw/recipsaw for a couple of years now, and it's still going strong. I use the drill all the time, and I've been using the circ saw a good deal too. It works great for cutting down plywood/MDF (I've done up to

3/4" stock thus far), especially if you put a plywood cutting blade in it. I think the trick is not to expect it to have the same capabilities of a larger saw -- but it's worked great for my purposes.

Of course there's always exceptions, and maybe I'm one of them... but I have no complaints so far.

-Richard

Reply to
Richard Boggs

I have a 14.4 Ryobi drill, vintage 2000. The drill is used almost daily, and the batteries still have about 3/4 of their capacity. It's only an ok drill, but the battery life I've gotten out of it is far better than any of the other name-brand tools I have.

Reply to
mp

I can't remember where I saw the reviews but most people who are serious about their tools would rather pay extra for metal gears intead of plastic gears in their cordless drills. I think that principal applies across the board. The Dewalt, PC, etc. are actually cheaper in the long run, IMHO.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I bought a Ryobi reciprocating saw at a flea market and when I got home, I discovered the trigger on-off switch didn't work. After finding their address on Google, I sent them an email giving them the model and serial number and asking for ordering instructions. They responded with an email that this model and serial number qualified it for free replacement of parts. I gave them my mailing address and they sent me not only the switch but a new case, didn't even charge me shipping. Now you can't beat that with a stick. The main thing I like about it is the blade holder which is easy to use and reliable.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

Nikota is the brand name I meant to say. My fingers got twisted.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

Gosh.... I just turned 61 a few weeks ago... Life in the fast lane is not over once you turn 60... I can tell you tat for sure...

But to be honest getting the ok from my wife to add another Corvette to the "fleet" in the garage may be a little difficult... not really lol !

I personally like 14.4 V drills etc... hell at my age I do not have the strenght to lift them heavy 18 V monsters...

Bob

68 SS 396 Chevelle 61 64 72 76 & 95 Corvettes
Reply to
Bob G.

I was picturing my neighbor that just bought in the last 3 or 4 years, a

30th anniversary Trans Am, a 50 commemorative Burgundy Corvette, and a few months ago 1 new Lexus SUV, the big one. He traded in to 2 Crown Vic's. It is a scream watching him crawl in and out of either car and he cannot turn the wheel on either with out stopping and repositioning his hands for each 5 or 6 inches of movement of the wheel. He also just got a 18 volt B&D Drill. LOL

Exactly.. I am no wimp and about 11 years behind you but 9-12 volts are plenty heavy for me. LOL..

Now out of all those Corvettes, why do you keep the 76??? IIRC the HP on those years was pretty skinny. 165 ish..

Reply to
Leon

"Bob G." wrote: ...

Now you need a 69 Camaro RS... :)