Rust

Tom reported that his test had failed. Rust appeared.

I've seen standard waxes work almost as well as TopCote and Boeshield T9 (the one with the name you couldn't recall). I did an article on making shop waxes, and in the course of making waxes, I must have put more than a dozen coats of haaaaaaaard waxes on my table saw top, all power buffed (cordless Turtle wax buffer, microfiber bonnet). Not all of that buffed off. Wood floated on that surface as if it were not actually touching the saw table. That lasted about 10 days. I also managed to drip a fair amount of sweat on the waxed surface: it beaded up, the beads broke up, and no rust appeared.

But it's a PITA to keep up, I must admit. To really keep that level of shine and slickness and rust protection requires about once every three day application and buffing out. I don't have the time, and probably wouldn't take it if I did. I do the top about biweekly if I'm cutting a lot of wood, about monthly otherwise. No rust. I try to sweat elsewhere these days.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've not been pleased with the wax treatment at all. Little rust protection after several coats. If I don't use the saw for a week I have to wipe off the fine rust that permeates the wax. I am planning a trial of a marine spray-on treatment made by Quicksilver which dries hard. I hope I'm not sorry.

Reply to
C & M