Run away router

I plug in my Craftsman router to the wall socket and it automatically started. I thought I had screwed up by locking the switch in on position but it was, in fact, in the off position. I played with the switch to see if I could turn it off without success as it failed in the on position - dangerous. I took apart the router and found the micro switch is in the "normally on" position which is not a fail safe mode where the only way to turn it off is to unplug it.

Is this a new router? I know it would not have been designed that way.

Its an old router around mid 80s. The trigger not electrical but via cable much like a bicycle brake system. In the off position, the end of the cable is pushing the micro switch contact to the open position. The micro switch is "normally closed" so failure in the cable system may lead to the router to be on like in my situation. This is the first time this happened, easy fix but I'm have to extra careful now before I plug this sucker in the electrical outlet.

Geez, and we thought the ARHA (automatic random height adjustment) feature was bad. Who can come up with a good acronym or title for this feature?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Instant-on feature?
Always-on feature.
Look on the bright side. Now you have a reason to replace that Craftsman with a PC, like you have wanted to do for years.
Steve

Leon wrote:

Insta-Mangle

Hard-Start - as opposed to Soft Start.. Scary Sharp -- brings you "Scary Start!"... etc.
Widowmaker?
-John
Fred wrote:

Put it in a table and use a remote switch, then buy a new one for portable use?
    Greetings and Salutations.

    Yea, I had a Craftsman router that actually worked pretty well for quite a few years, but got to the point that it would no longer start. Well, I had taken it partially apart, so I could get to the switch to see if IT was the problem. Since I did not have a meter at hand, I plugged it in...needless to say, it was QUITE a surprise when it spun up on me! I could not believe that some beancounter thought it was a good idea to save a few pennies by putting in a NC switch there! I fixed the problem by cleaning the accumulated sawdust out, and, it did run fine for several more years, before the upper bearing got hot enough to melt the PLASTIC mounting for it. I tossed it and got a PC 690, and, got back to enjoying the greatest power chisel ever made.     Regards     Dave Mundt