RT 1000 Router Table stole Norm's Plan

I read the recent post about the RT 1000 Router Table as I was curious. Clicked on the site and low and behold a very familiar router table popped up. Is it me, or is this almost an exact duplicate of Norm's router table?
Or maybe Norm copied the Rt 1000!
Chuck
Original Post:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/ddd6e3cf03fe05ce/4dbf471c08046935?hl=en#4dbf471c08046935
Norm's Router Table: http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0301
RT 1000: http://rt1000.com /
um all router tables look similar, I can see a few differences, wish I had a copyright on kitchen cabinets

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/ddd6e3cf03fe05ce/4dbf471c08046935?hl=en#4dbf471c08046935
Ahem . . . excuse me - "copyright" is MY word. So STOP IT!

Woodchuck34 wrote:

I just ordered plans and the CD for Norm's. Watched the show and looked the plans over and I agree; the RT-1000 looks like a clone with some mild changes.
Chuck B.

Norm's looks almost identical to one in Hylton & Matlack's book. Which has been around since ~1990, so likely predates Norm's design. I have no idea if they copied someone else, but I'm guessing the basic design probably goes back a ways.
John

And not just them. There is Woodhaven at http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?IDi
And I have seen lots of others that haven't copied the unique idea of having drawers and doors in a cabinet, but have stolen Norm's idea of having a hole in the center of the table through which the bit protrudes, and a fence for guiding the work. The nerve of those folks stealing Norm's ideas for their profit.

alexy wrote:

Picasso said, "A good artist borrows from his fellow artist, a great artist steals."

As I recall, Norm based his table on a plan that originally appeared in a magazine...
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:29:46 GMT, Larry Kraus

As a matter of fact, Ellis Walentine had a large hand in the design (and a small part in the NYW episode) when he was the editor. There is an article on the WoodCentral website (Articles section) that tells the story.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite