Routing with a rotary saw?

I will be doing my first edge veneering in the next few days. I didn't like the idea of trimming with either a knife or a router, and didn't want to spend the money for a trimmer knife.

I have a Porter Cable 7499 cutout tool that takes 1/4" bits. Is it reasonable to use that with a trim bit? (sometimes I overlook things that should be obvious, so I am asking...)

Reply to
John

it will work as well as you can keep the tool in position. routers have nice big flat areas on a base to make sure it stays stable and doesnt wander. it will be, and stay at a perfect right angle to the edge. the rotary tool doesnt.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Didn't want to use a tool that was designed for this sort of thing (router) but would rather use a tool that was not. I fail to see the logic.

Reply to
CW

The router is a big heavy thing to balance on a 1/2" edge; and I don't think I need 2hp to cut veneer.

The saw is light and easily positioned, and should have more than enough power.

Seems like a better choice to me. Is there a flaw in that logic?

Reply to
John

Ponder using a router with a jig that gives you sufficient support for the router base. The jig I made for a similar purpose is two long strips of plywood joined at a right angle. Clamp the vertical such that the horizontal is flush with the edge you need to rout. I originally made this jig for doing door hinge recesses, but it has come in handy many a time since, and I see it having a use for your task.

On the other hand, some of the rotary tools like dremels have router attachments which I also have but seem to only be good doing very very shallow cuts without killing the tool

you never specified what exactly you are doing, but isnt there another edge bigger than 1/2" that you could use? even with a router its gonna be hard to keep it flat to that surface.

ya. the saw is light, easily positioned, and without a proper base is easily moved/shook/wanked/whatever just a bit to keep the line from being straight and has more than enough power to screw it up real fast.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

If you want to trim excess veneer from a 1/2" wide surface, think 10" flat bastard file.

It does magic for this work.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I hadn't heard of using a file, but will give it a try. thanks.

Reply to
John

It's an old trick used to trim laminate when doing a refacing job.

Enjoy.

HTH

Lew

Reply to