Router table fence question: split or not

I'm building a router table and am undecided over the fence. Norm's design has a continuous fence which requires shimming to avoid snipe where the bit may remove material from the entire workpiece edge. A split fence avoids the shimming but may be more difficult to adjust.
Or is the real solution to make both a split fence and a continuous fence? Or, is this approach just a waste of time?
Any thoughts?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You need to shim either way, but in the split case you can put the shims between the fence and the sub-fence.
I like a split fence because it can be adjusted to give tight clearance for different diameter bits. The gap above the bit also provides some airflow to help entrain chips into the dust port in the fence.
Chris
I like split fences and no, you don't always have to shim, you can buy or make adustable versions.
Freud makes a nice simple little unit with micro adjustable thumb screw adjustments.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Just a note: I was also always amazed at how poorly the Incra fence systems (expensive muthas) handle the split fence and other type of micro adjustments.
Hint: When doing a full removal cut lay a straight edge on the outfeed fence and have it extend out to the cutter rotate the cutter by hand and adjust the fence just until it scrapes the straight edge. You can do the same on straight cuts with a bearing or cutter with the straight edge across both sections of fence. Maybe everyone already knows this or its just obvious but it was taught to me by an old timer when I first sarted out and I never forget it.
On Nov 23, 10:39 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You knew my Dad?
-Zz
Split fence has it merits but at some expense. Requires a well made fence and the ability to straighten, offset & square it to the table. In my view, its risks, and infrequency of use are reasons not to make or use. Full thickness cuts, essentially only those that need a split fence, are very power demanding cuts, hard on the cutter & router and should be done on the shaper where power, fixturing, and cutters permit. A fence for continuous, unbroken, safe duty:
http://patwarner.com/images/1704a.jpg
On Nov 23, 10:39 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

On Nov 23, 6:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@patwarner.com wrote:

That just oozes quality.

yeah... Pat's jigs are nicer than the furniture in my house..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Nice!!!