Router table fence question: split or not

I'm building a router table and am undecided over the fence. Norm's design has a continuous fence which requires shimming to avoid snipe where the bit may remove material from the entire workpiece edge. A split fence avoids the shimming but may be more difficult to adjust.

Or is the real solution to make both a split fence and a continuous fence? Or, is this approach just a waste of time?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
greatviewcsc

You need to shim either way, but in the split case you can put the shims between the fence and the sub-fence.

I like a split fence because it can be adjusted to give tight clearance for different diameter bits. The gap above the bit also provides some airflow to help entrain chips into the dust port in the fence.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I like split fences and no, you don't always have to shim, you can buy or make adustable versions.

Freud makes a nice simple little unit with micro adjustable thumb screw adjustments.

a note: I was also always amazed at how poorly the Incra fence systems (expensive muthas) handle the split fence and other type of micro adjustments.

H> I'm building a router table and am undecided over the fence. Norm's

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You knew my Dad?

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Reply to
pat

Reply to
Robatoy

yeah... Pat's jigs are nicer than the furniture in my house..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis