Router sizing question

I am building a computer controlled router and will need to cut through 3/4" pine. If I use a router rather than a spiral saw, what horsepower rating should I consider? I'd like to cut at 2-3 in/sec. Thanks, John
Check the Shopbot website. They use a 3.5hp Porter Cable and I seem to rcall a 3.5" pre sec feed rate as being a good starting point.