Router bit storage suggestion

An easy, safe and convenient (and cheap) way to store and transport those precious router bits:
1. Find a suitable plastic box with lid. 2. Line the bottom with a piece of open-cell foam cut to fit. 3. Make a small incision for each bit's position and then push the bit's shaft in.
Another piece of foam could be cut to fit inside the cover, if desired.
C wrote:

Since you mentioned 'transport'...how about a fishing tackle box?? It's got lots of little compartments that are (more-or-less) router-bit sized.
--
Chris Merrill

I use the clear Plano utility boxes both for portable router bit storage and for the 50# of fishing gear I take on the boat. Hmmm, I wonder if a 1" cove bit would work on them basses????
I don't like the idea of a box since the bits roll around inside and bang into each other, potentially damaging themselves.
I took a piece of scrap wood (I had a piece of 8/4 cherry laying around that was perfect) - and I drilled a bunch of 1/2 and 1/4 " holes in it, I put the bits in the holes, and they don't hit each other, they are easy to find, and not too hard to transport - although I rarely transport them very far.
In terms of your priorities:
Safe - I would rate my solution highly in the safety dept. Convenient - also very convenient. Cheap - Free (I'm sure you have scraps of wood laying around)
works great for storage and use, ok for transport.
Mark