Is there an easy and cheap way to apply veneer to MDF?

I've built a document sorter (pigeon holes) out of 6mm MDF and am toying with the idea of painting it. But what about applying veneer instead? The external dimensions are approx 50cm x 32cm x 28cm. I've even thought of using Fablon.

Ideas?

MM

Reply to
MM

Do a search for iron-on wood veneer. Very simple to apply.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Fablon... after w hile it peels, it splits, it leaves a dirty sticky residue. How to really ruin furniture. Hence its great fall from popularity.

NT

Reply to
NT

And it'll probably look like MDF with iron on veneer. I would suggest instead staining/varnishing the mdf and making a feature of the fact that it IS MDF rather than trying to hide it. Trying to veneer a lot of pigeon holes sounds like way to much trouble anyway. (Fablon would look even worse IMO)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Ahh Fablon. TWTD

There were nowt like a Fablonned fridge, especially one with the patterns printed with slimy dog oil the colours of blood vomit half rubbed off.

DerekG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Which is a very pleasing look.

What's the problem?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Fablon the fooking hard to apply , stretch free, fragile , residue leaving plastic that made every project look like it was made out of old cereal packets, sticky back plastic....

World of plastics has moved on , a lot, look at vehicle wrapping films and specifically for furniture 3M Di Noc

lot easier than Fablon of old.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

If it is iron-on wood veneer, rather than printed / embossed foil, it will look like wood. Even some embossed foils can look good.

I would most likely paint it in bright colours, so it becomes irrelevant what material it is made from.

It probably would have been better to cover the MDF first, but iron-on veneer will be the easiest way after building.

(Fablon would look even

It always does, no matter what you compare it to.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

How do you iron the inside of a pigeon hole? Especially the back, if it has a back.

Reply to
BartC

Buy some sheets of natural veneer. Cut it to size and use contact adhesive to glue it down. This method is commonly used in industry for small fiddly jobs. You can keep a sheet of paper between the two surfaces whilst positioning the pieces.

Personally I would have veneered the mdf first off

Reply to
fred

Speaking personally, I would heat a rectangular block of steel and use that. If I had a lot to do, I might even add a handle and probably end up with something looking like an old-fashioned, non-electric, billiard table iron.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

'making a feature...' well, MDF is quite featureless, isn't it. Sure, I could just leave it like it is, but it ain't pretty. Functional, but, well, it has the MDF look.

Why would Fablon look worse? I turned a secondhand side table into a piano stool by replacing the glass insert with a plywood one that I covered with Fablon. You really have to look closely to tell.

MM

Reply to
MM

Paint is an option, but the reason I'm looking for other options is that painting it would be a right pain. Eight relatively small pigeon holes that you'd have to get a brush in. It would need a couple of coats of primer, the undercoat and finally top coat. Quite a palaver when, for example, the iron-on veneer suggestion would be an instant solution.

It may well look worse than real veneer, but worse than raw MDF? No, I don't think so.

MM

Reply to
MM

Obviously, you wouldn't! You'd stick it down with contact adhesive. Or PVA. It'd be a darn sight easier cutting a piece to fit, say, an internal 'wall' than painting it with two or three coats, plus rubbing down in between.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yes, well, when I say "Fablon" I'm really using the generic term for the stuff my mum used to line the dresser shelves. Nowadays I'm sure there are many far superior products available.

MM

Reply to
MM

glue it down. This method is commonly used in industry for small fiddly jobs. You can keep a sheet of paper between the two surfaces whilst positioning the pieces.

It's an idea, I suppose.

MM

Reply to
MM

Have you considered using a painting sponge, rather than a brush?

Reply to
S Viemeister

If you are talking real veneer - veneering is a top end cabinet maker's skill. Not a job for an amateur or even for a carpenter and wuold be done before the pieces are assembled (Unless you are thinking about just the outside of the box, that might be done after assembly)

If by veneer you mean 'some kind of covering which might look like wood' then yes you could (on the outside only) use fablon, you could use laminate (not particularly easy to do). What about paper? wallpaper or any other decorative paper, then varnish over the top. Can't think of any other options

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

JPGs please. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Comparing Di-Noc with Fablon is a bit like comparing oak with MDF ;-)

Di-Noc is at the top end of wrapping products finding their way from automotive into furniture.

are other vehicle wrapping films that work very well on wood, re- positionable adhesives, air release channels, stretch rather than rip, Fablon these ain`t ;-)

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby