Router bit sought

I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a 1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that requires me to offset my template which, in turn, opens the possibility for error. My ideal solution would be a bearing bit with a 1/8 depth of cut. Any ideas?
My intent is to imbed a free form piece of zebrawood in the top of a walnut box.
Thanks in advance,
Larry
Sawdust is to woodworking as eraser dust is to arithmetic -- just more expensive.
On 1/22/2012 10:40 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

If I am understanding what you are doing, any top bearing template bit would work.
On a table saw, cut out the rectangle that you hope to use as an insert from a piece of 3/4" MDF. On a second larger piece of MDF, mount strips (at least 3" wide to make it easier to balance the router) around the block. Think this all through before you start and use the same saw setting to cut two of them to match your block.
Use the top bearing bit to cut out the insides of template 2 which will be a dead on duplicate of block 1. The corners of 2 will be rounded. You will need to decide whether to square them or (my choice) would be to round the ends of 1 to exactly fit 2, this will make your insert have rounded corners.
Cut the hole in the lid with template 2 and appropriate router depth. Cut the insert using template 1 Keep the templates, who knows when they would work well again.
Here is a bit like what I am suggesting: http://www.freudtools.com/p-177-top-bearing-flush-trim-bits.aspx
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
I'm not understanding. Do you mean 1/8 deep or wide. Any straight bit will work, just run the router along a straight edge of some sort. setting to 1/8 deep is not the issue.
Keep your router oriented in the same position so that the base if not centered doesn't become an issue. a slight twisting won't be an issue, a 45-180 will be. The offset for a degree or two is so minimal as to not be an issue.
On 1/22/2012 12:07 PM, DanG wrote:

Use a top bearing guide router bit.
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=top+bering+guide+router+bit
The issue is how thin this bit needs to be I don't think you will find one less than 1/2"
Or an inlay kit
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7lkozj7

On 1/22/2012 10:40 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

I guess I didn't make myself clear. The walnut top of the box will measure 4x8. Imagine an embedded freeform zebrawood inlay running like a curving river down the length in the center of the box top. The inlay will be of varying widths, but figure on an average about 1 inch wide.
On 1/22/2012 12:21 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Same game, just different tools. You need a smaller router bit to play:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Gramp's shop wrote:

The inlay kit mentioned will work but it will take forever. For what you want, a dado cleanout bit would be better as long as the inlay will be at least 1/2" wide..
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/orderstatus/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_dado.html
--

dadiOH
On 1/22/2012 10:40 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, friends. Freud makes a bearing flush cut bit with a 9/16 cutter length. I'll just need to make my template a bit thicker than the 1/4 inch hardboard I was planning on using.
Gramp's shop wrote:

The brass inlay kit has two advantages. You cut your template with the kit and then put the template over your piece, add the bushing to the templated kit and cut your hole. Works like a champ. You can also use it to cut the infill piece, but there are a couple of extra steps involved.
Deb