Router

Does one need a 3 1/4 Router to use raised panel bits, if you use the bits occasionally?
For sure.....

Yes. And don't even THINK ABOUT using the panle raising bits without a table of some kind. Even a quick & dirty table, with a clamped & jointed fence.
You can get a useable router of that capacity for less than $200. Look for a Hitachi MV12x or a Freud FT2000e, or similar. Soft start is good.
Once you have a table and a big router, you'll find all sorts of projects to use it with.
Patriarch
On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:21:53 -0500, Patriarch

A Bosch 1617EVS or PC 69x or 89x will also turn those bits, but you may need an extra pass.
I have an extra Bosch 1617 base screwed to my table, and have never longed for a bigger router, but I do have experience doing the same with a big router in other shops. However, I'm not a raised panel door factory. <G>
The table is mandatory regardless of the motor.
For heavy duty use, I prefer a real shaper over any router.
Barry

Nope. Just don't try to take more than about 1 sixteenth of an inch each pass.
Max D.

Correct for the guy that is making a bunch of them, but for only a few doors I can take a lot of 1/16" passes in the time it takes me to earn $300 after taxes for a new router.

For certain you want to spin the bit at about 1/2 speed, 10,000 rpm max.