Rousseau router plate in the trash

Page 2 of 2
I pulled it from the trash and widened the holes so now they all line up. I wanted to attach it to the side of my table saw so I made a practice router table top. It turned out so good that it became my "actual" top. The only complant I have against the rousseau is the difficulty in putting in the hole reducer rings. Other than that it seems pretty good.

One of the things, I really hated about this plate. The Woodpeckers is a twistlock, very easy to get in and out.
Another thing I didn't like about the Rousseau was there was no means of leveling. I talked to them and they sent me a leveling kit. But it looked really flimsy. Gave the plate away with the table, but I actually still have the leveling kit some where.
Darrell
Most of the time you won't be fussing with the rings, unless you like to use those mammoth router bits. Glad to hear you rescued the plate.

Good to hear you salvaged it. I was acurate on 3 holes and had to wallow out the last hole to get mine to work.

Even if you'd gotten lined up, you might not have liked it anyway. I had one. My DW618 came with a centering tool so it was a little easier getting it lined up. But I never really liked the plate anyway. I hated the crown in the plate. The inserts never seemed to be flat and they were a pain to install. I gave away my old open stand table and built a new cabinet style. This time I used a Woodpeckers cast aluminum. Its' predrilled and fits perfectly. I just bought the extra twist lock set of insert. You can go even smaller with a set of 1 3/6" inserts from Lee Valley, (I'll be getting these later). One word describes this setup, Sweettttttt!. Do yourself a favor and check out the Woodpeckers plates.
Darrell

I did not have any problems with the Rousseau and I have the PC 7518. I may have used a spring-loaded self centering awl used to center hinge screws. I used a drill press to drill the holes. I'm sure you can salvage the plate.
BTW, I made a frame jig made from 4 pieces of 1/2" thick ply. These pieces are 8" longer and dadoed to make a nice sturdy frame. The extra length does two things: makes dados rather than (weaker) half lap joints, and provides plenty of clamping areas. The Rousseau instructions say to use two "L"s as a router guide to cut the hole, but the frame is much sturdier. I also made a test cut on some scrap mdf before cutting into my trimmed laminated router table top which I put several hours work.