Rolling cabinet for my planar

Going to build a rolling cabinet for my planar (approximately 2' x 3'). I was thinking about whether or not I need a vertical member centered in the middle of the cabinet to support the weight of the machine. Any suggestions? I dont see a way around it. If I do add this support, I was thinking about adding several drawers to the top section, and two cabinet doors to the lower half. Any of you have an outfeed table? What are you fellas storing is this cabinet?
Matt

My planer certainly doesn't need such a support, but it only weighs 90 pounds.

Its a Rigid, so I am guessing under 100lbs. But, I am planning on making the cabinet 3' wide and 2' deep. A 3' span with close to 100lbs in the center may sag over time.
Matt
Going to

built out of scrap plywood. I was real concerned about putting a 75 pound TV on it because there wasn't much to it. Two years later I was done with it, so I decided to test it. I put 200 pounds of sand and chain on it, and then sat on top of the pile. Firm as can be. I finally broke it by hitting it on the upper side with a sledge hammer with the 200 pounds on it. Even then it just kinda broke rather than collapsing as I was afraid of.
Assuming your construction is reasonable, a 100 pound planer isn't much of a load. Of course, I don't know how good you are at design...
. Of course, I don't know how good you are at design...- Hide quoted text -
I am awesome...........lol

Offhand, I'd say it depends on exactly what the top if to be made of and how thick it'll be.
If you are planning to use 1/2" plywood or MDF, I'd run a support rail under it; however, if it'll be something more substantial...say 3/4" baltic birch or a lamination or maybe even a torsion box, no extra support is likely to be needed.
Luck
Mike
"Matt" wrote:

Take a look at the NYW plans.
Lew

You store your planer in the cabinet!. This plan is fairly straightforward with simple hardware.
http://store.woodstore.net/flwoce.html
You could easily add wings to it for infeed and outfeed.
Matt,
I've got my Delta 13.5" planer, which I assume weighs roughly the same as the Ridgid, on a rolling cabinet. The cabinet is essentially a 20"x34"x20" (length x height x depth) box made from 3/4" plywood. The top is two 2'x2' peices of plywood laminated together. There is no flex or sag at all even after three years.
I put a face frame on the front creating a single drawer and a large cabinet. I store planer and mortiser parts in the drawer and my mortiser in the lower cabinet on a slide out tray. I posted a couple of pictures in A.B.P.W.
Don't have an auxillery outfeed table. I generally rough cut all pieces before I joint and plane and don't deal with really long pieces. The few times that has come up, I've had the lumber store plane the boards for me.
John

I've got a similar Delta planer and I went and bought one of those cheap Harbor Freight tool stands with the metal legs and wood top for about $15 and it works just fine. Plenty of storage underneath too.

I ended up raising the height of the planer an inch or so with scrap wood so that it was at the same height as one of my workbenches so the bench can serve as an outfeed table. If I need an infeed table, I just get a roller stand.

The Ridgid used to come with a tool stand in the price. Does it not any longer?
Patriarch

It indeed did come with the stamped metal stand. Problem is, for me, I need mobility in my shop. Also, their arent any options for me to add storage under the stand. It has been a b**ch moving the planer around the shop. So I figured why not make some saw dust and build a functional base with the features I am looking for?
I am going to use 3/4 oak plywood, add several full extension drawers and maybe allow some room below for my bench grinder.
Matt

I have the Delta 12" planer with a homemade 3/4" MDF infeed/outfeed table that is 30 inches long. I made a cabinet that stores 2 power tools inside of it and mounts 2 on top. 1 of the ones on top is ALWAYS the planner because it is just to much of a pain to move. The others are a 16 inch Delta scroll saw, a Rigid oscallating sander and a Craftsman belt/disk sander. I made the top out of 3/4 Baltic Birch and overlaid a second piece that has the cutouts for the tools mounts (they are approximatly 26inX26in). The top overlaps the case by about 3in on each side and the front. The cabinet is about 60in long and 30in wide. The bottom, sides are also 3/4 Baltic Birch that that are joined with dadoes and the back is 1/2in Birch set in rabbits.No face at this point tho I do plan to add doors and a couple drawers. There are no center supports and there is no sag.

with snipe. I have a Delta planer. http://woodstore.net/porplanthicc.html

weighs quite a bit.

A recent edition of ShopNotes magazine had a plan for one. It has an outfeed support and is on casters so it can be moved where you'd like it. It's issue 91.
JP
Matt,
What kind of planer? I have a DeWalt, and all the weight is on the four corners. The dimensions of the stand I built for it were pretty darn close to the footprint of the planer, therefore, each foot was already directly over the vertical members (and the wheels). If this is your setup, don't worry about center support. There won't be any weight over the center. I've planed 7'x7"x16/4 white maple with no problem and those planks were *heavy*.
jc

I built the cabinet yesterday, without a center support. Mounted the planer and all is good. I will add a drawer or two and maybe a tray at the bottom for my grinder.
Matt