ripping

New to group w/ not much woodworking experience

I need to rip numerous boards (about 52") into strips that are wider at one end than the other. They are generally 2.25" at one end and 2" at the other, but these demensions vary. I figure that there should be some way to attach the board that I'm ripping to a guide board which will run along the fence. Any ideas or websites that discuss a solution.

Thanks, Dick

Reply to
Dick

you are looking for a 'tapering' jig...something like:

Chris Merrill

Dick,

You have described just what you need to use a "guide board" which in a smaller version would be a "taper jug"

Basically start with a piece of 3/4 hardwood plywood that is about 6-8 inches wide ( for stability) rip it clean on both edges with the table saw. Determine how you would like to affix a couple of "hold down" clamps or mechanisms. The easiest thing to use are the toggle clamps that you screw down to the surface. In other words, you want to be able to hold the pieces of wood at an angle to the blade ( 2.25" at one end and 2"at the other) The clamps should be about 3" to the right of the cut line so they bear down on the wood that you are cutting. You did not say what the width of your unfinished stock is so the clamps and the "sled" need to account for the average width of the wood before you taper it.

I am not sure if you are a beginner or not, but many of the magazine sites show a sled such as this for ripping a clean edge on raw rough sawn lumber but the same principal applies. Write back to me directly if you have any detailed questions. I will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Reply to
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Wood

One option besides the taper jig is to rip with a circular saw. Measure from your blade to the edge of the saw "deck". Measure over the two distances you want plus or minus the det to blade distance and clamp down a stiff straight-edge. Rip with the saw deck tight against the straight-edge and be sure to support your work from underneath as pushing down can cause the saw to slide under the straight-edge. This works best with a wide board. Be sure to clamp on the side opposite from the motor as the clamps will get in the way. I recommend you practice first.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling