Rikon 18" Bandsaw

I wrote to Rikon to see if there was a dealer near me where I could actually look at one of the bandsaws. (This is the model that got a "Best Buy" rating in Fine Woodworking a month or so ago.) Anyway, while there isn't one around here yet, they said Woodcraft is going to start carrying them in about six weeks. Retail is about $1000, I think. If anybody's interested....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
thanks alot I was hopin for some info on a smaller Rikon saw 14", if woodcraft is going to carry them I'll try to contact them. happiness!-Frank

Check out the Woodtek also at the same price. Notice the cast iron fence on it as opposed to the Rikon's aluminum... Cast iron wheels too. Not sure if the Rikon has the same. Anyhow, the Woodtek will be mine when money permits. :)
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 8-199&LARGEVIEW=ON
Brian.

Brian wrote:

I'm going on the recommendation of the author in Fine Woodworking. If money were no object, I'd go for the Laguna. Unfortunately, I'm not as independently wealthy as I'd like to be. Besides, I'm a relative newbie. I've never used a bandsaw; never took woodshop in high school. Most of what I know I learned by reading and stumbling around the shop.
I figure this'll be like when I got into computers: spend the money and then I'll be obligated to learn how to use it. But I digress....
The author specifically mentioned the ease of changing the blade. I can't remember any of the rest right now.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

And minimal deflection when tensioned and put under load (resaw). Good resaw capacity. The Rikon looks like a nice saw... Tom Work at your leisure!

fence on

sure if

money
independently
used a
That's fine. I'm just trying to point out another option in your price range. Did Fine Woodworking include the Woodtek in their writeup?
Brian.
Brian wrote:

Woodtek 118-199:
They scored it as good in the resaw test, excellent in the curve following test, and very good in table lock effectiveness. On the negative side, it scored only a fair in blade changing ease and was ten out of eleven tested in frame deflection (lower is more desirable).
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

test,
scored only

Found the article. Here's a direct link: http://www.dropship2u.com/rikon/10-340review.pdf
They must be hosting that page from a dialup connection. Anyhow, give it a chance to load.
Now a couple things... (1) I honestly think these machines are now so similar (minus the higher end makes, Laguna, Agazzani, etc) that the deflection is going to be roughly equivalent. And any variance you see from brand to brand is also likely to be seen from machine to machine within the same brand. I have no way to verify this, but I'd bank on it being true. (2) I think there are other considerations when shopping for a bandsaw. I do believe that the Woodtek has cast iron wheels and trunions while the Rikon has aluminum wheels and stamped steel trunions. Would need more info from Rikon to be sure, but to me this is significant. (3) I think the equivalent Grizzly model to the tested Rikon is in fact the G0514. Not the more expensive G0506 they actually tested. Check the specs. I wouldn't be surprised if the G0514 and the Rikon were in fact the *identical* machine with different name tags with the exception of the slighter larger Rikon table. The Grizz currently runs $925, and I can't find the Rikon online for less than $999.
FWIW
Brian.
And as I typed this, I see that the Rikon does indeed have cast iron wheels... Hmm, that machine is looking better and better....
wrote in message

following
from
the
info
the
be
for
Brian wrote:

I swear I saw a Rikon ad that said the 18" saw listed at $899. Now, of course, I can't find the damned thing. This is going to drive me crazy.
They seem to have a real low profile in the marketplace, though Woodcraft should fix that. The $999 price at Toolcenter.com at least includes delivery to a business loading dock; it's another 75 bucks to get them to bring it to your house. (What in hell's the difference?)
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

the difference is that a 'business loading dock', which is at trailer height, they can just run the pallet off, with a pallet jack or fork-lift (usually supplied _by_ the dock . takes all of about 3 minutes
'Residential' delivery, involves getting it from truck-bed height down to ground level. "Somehow". whole bunch more time/effort and tools/machinery that 'somebody' has to supply. Often takes a _lot_ more time -- like 20-30 minutes. They may have to use a lift-gate truck -- more expensive, and maintainence-prone, probably have to pay the driver a higher rate, per union contract.
For trucking companies that deliver _primarily_ to commercial locations, residential delivery is a _major_ pain in the anatomy. They _do_ it, because it is necessary, but they don't *like* to do it.
Probably 2/3 of that surcharge is 'justified' by additional direct costs incurred. The remainder is 'nusiance' factor, to 'discourage' people who "don't really need it" from using the service.