Ridgid belt sander.

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Predominantly Milwaukee with a smattering of all other colours.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
[snippage for brevity]

That 6" is a Metabo made in Germany. I have one and after replacing the velcro pads, I have had no complaints.. It gets worked almost every day... it shares duties with a 150 Rotex Festool. The Ridgid 6" has a Festool C22 sucker on it, and the Festool sander has a Turbo II Fein sucker attached to it. One package goes on service calls and installations, the other stays pretty much at the shop. (Unless it's a very dark colour solid surface, in which case the slightly better performance of the Rotex/Fein makes it worth the hassle of carrying the extra bulk.) Hopefully this shows that I will buy the better tool, regardless of cost (up to a point, which the choo-choo' goes over...) because I make a decent living with them.

I bought it because I did a thorough investigation. I knew the style and features of the 6" looked familiar...then I discovered, via a repair depot conversation, that the Metabo parts are directly interchangeable with the Ridgid. Lifetime warranty, low cost... a no-brainer. In the business I sold (to retire...as if...<G>) I used and abused PC 6" ROS sanders. They served me well... much more so than their latest generation of production routers...another story) The Ridgid 6" is head and shoulder well above the PC (grinder style) ROS sanders. The Festool 6" is a notch better again, simply because it evacuates the dust better than the Ridgid and in solid surface sanding, that is very important.

That really irks the shit outta me too. Mostly because I feel insulted. They're treating people like idiots. Companies like Festool charge more because you get more. They almost always get it right... but the plastification of Porter Cable is following the same path as the butcher job Black & Decker did with EMU. They now strive to be a bit better than Harbour Freight and stuff like that. For the occasional user, it's good enough.

Yup... sitting on my benchtop now. The 1/4 sheet jobbie is cute and reminds me of the little Makitas I used to buy. In my trade of limited value, but I'm going to build some woodworking related stuff... some end-tables and projects like that. ALL 1/4 sheet sanders leave swirl marks on dark acrylic countertops.
That 2720 Ridgid belt sander feels awful nice in the hands. Soft start (although in this case purely a spin-off from the same electronic speed controls used everywhere and therefore a marketing/cosmetic feature.) It's all cast. Nice balance. Relatively quiet. 10 amp motor.... we'll see about that! <G> Turns out that I happen to have a nice big thick countertop in production, as we speak. Tracking adjustment responds nicely.. (Wondering if I can retrofit a PC aftermarket graphite pressure platen..... oh drat..here he goes again...) The dust bag sure blows up firmly and fast.... even at slow speed. The speed control knob is in a nice spot.
Negative #1... *I* won't be using this sander overhead for any length of time...it is heavy. Negative #2.. no obvious way to hook up any of my dust suckers... I will need to fit something. As a side-discharging device, I'll have to give that some thought.... but on the up side.... there's a huge amount of air coming into that bag...

You bet I will, Robert. This is almost a too-good-to-be-true tool for the money. If worse comes to worst, I'll have to concede to Lew and others..and do the choo-choo....
http://www.savannahtoolhouse.com/sanders.html choo choo $409
"Robatoy" snip

Pass - get the PC.
Say, why would a guy that makes a living with tools consider using a consumer brand? I know its not price as you seem to use Fes, Fein, and big red often.
Again, get the PC. After 15 years I've only had to replace the cord on mine.
Dave

My grandmother used to have a saying: (loosely translated)
"I'm too poor to buy cheap things"
I've got some hope in scoring one of the 504(3?) PC's when my sister comes and visits from Kansas over Christmas.
Robatoy:
All I can say is.... crap. I always get my hope up when someone that knows how to use a tool tries out something that has a spark of hope. I would love for someone, anyone to make a good tool these days.
*Sigh*
For me, I still have three belt sanders that work well. An older Rockwell (yup, the red wreath and black lower case "r" are on it), a new model of that one that is an older PC, and my favorite, a 22 year old HItachi that was made in Japan. That thing is an unstoppable brute, and it is the one that I use to sand cabinets, display cases, etc. if needed.
I was hoping for a good report as I know these old horses can't last forever.
I have had great luck with all my Milwaukee tools, which you indicate you have a few. Have you ever tried their belt sander?
Inquiring minds are wondering. Oh yeah, and thanks for posting an honest review. You probably saved me more than a few hours of pissed off frustration of trying that sander out. I figure if a solid surface man can't make it work, what chance does a carpenter have? (I am being serious here... I know you guys use them all day long, and me only as needed).
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You mean their bench-top floor sander? It was great. 4" swath of total carnage. With a 36-grit belt, I could level a parking lot. I used one for 20+ years till it was nudged off the 3rd level of a scaffold and augered into a concrete driveway. It was old, the casing destroyed and it was very difficult to control. When I tossed it, I went to the 4" PC which lasted about 5 years. Then a series of smaller PC's.. a Bosch... a Makita, which still runs but still doesn't want to track properly.
But when that Milwaukee was on... the mothers in the area would all tell their children to come inside.....
Why not a replacement? It was too bulky and you couldn't get too close to the edges.
From what I hear in this here Wreck ..., Noah used a PC 504.
Now *MY* dilemma is to chose between the 503 and the 504.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thank you.
FWIW... reviews can be highly personal and therefore biased. What *I* expect from a tool, may not be what somebody else expects. My world is pretty flat. I can't have any kind of gouging. But maybe that wouldn't matter so much if a guy is taking paint off a barn.
That 2720 Ridgid simply did not do what *I* needed it to do.

These weren't the results I was hoping for. After the pleasant surprise when I bought the Ridgid 6" ROS from HD, this was a let-down.
The 2720 Ridgid belt sander has all the right stuff. Strong engine, solid cast chassis.... a lot of desirable features.
It has a very strong fan which sucks the dust right off the work surface and through gaps and spaces blows the stuff all over the place. In fact, very little ends up in the bag. I didn't bother trying to hook it up to my Fein because by that time I fell out of lust.
So close yet no cigarillo.
The base which supports the pressure plate looks flat, but the toe and the heel of the belt fail to push down equally. I found it impossible to keep it flat without either the heel or the toe digging in. I have years of belt sanding under my ..errrrrrmm...mm...belt. It is hard to describe the frustration when my old 352VS Porter Cable does a MUCH better job at staying flat on the work piece.
Reliability or longevity? WTF cares if the thing won't even do its very basic duty.
I tried all kinds of belts, speeds, materials... finally I said %%$#@%*^!!!!!!, packed it up and back to HD it went.
I posted a couple of pics on A.B.P.W.
*singing* "pardon me Lew, is that the Porter Cable Choo-choo....
Robatoy wrote:

Think tenderhooks.
When you bite the bullet, you get off the tenderhooks, meantime, you just hang there and wiggle.
Lew
<<A 3 x 21 inline belt sander just showed up at the local HD. Looks nice...heavy...flush-sands.. 3 year warranty. A free 1/4 sheet sander tossed in and....wait for it....a bag!>>
One of these bad boys just showed up on my doorstep yesterday. I have only had time to open the box and haven't actually sanded anything yet. I haven't even installed the front handle yet but I sure am glad it comes with one; the sucker is mighty heavy. I haven't even managed to kill my 30 year old Black & Decker so I'm quite sure I'll never be able to subject the Ridgid to the kind of abuse you general contractor guys could put it through. But I'll give ti a whack and publish the results.
Lee

_________________________________
I can confirm that, since I'm the one who gifted Lee with the sander so he could review it for the next issue of Woodcraft Magazine. Hopefully, he'll work his butt off to put it through some contractor-like duties as he's checking it out for his article. Something you want him to do with it? Post it here, and he'll do it.
Or I won't pay him.
A.J.
Robatoy Wrote: > Brothers and sisters in shavings, splinters and dust, I ask about the > following:

> pretty good as

> again..and I'm

> this point,

> looked at the

Cant comment on that belt sander. In general I was not a fan of Ridgid power tools, until I got my hands on a Ridgid 6-inch random orbit sander. I got it for fiberglass work, ended up using it for all kinds of things, but mostly fiberglass. Its more durable than I anticipated, were on our 3rd year of heavy use. Fwiw, fiberglass is perhaps the worst material for power tools. The abrasive dust gets sucked into the vents and in and around the motor, then the tools dies. Some power tool warranties specifically state the warranty is voided if the tool is used on fiberglass. Ridgid does not disallow fiberglass from their tools use.
Ridgids 3-yr warranty contains a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. It allows you to return the tool for any reason within the first 90-days for a full refund. I suggest you buy the Ridgid belt sander and try it out. If you dont get enough tool-tingle, take it back within 3-months for a full refund.
http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/3YR_90DAY_warranty.pdf
This is from the product description of the PC 504 belt sander: - Worm-gear drive delivers smooth and efficient power transfer from the motor.- Something I learned about windlass design is that worm gears are LESS efficient at transferring power. The loss of power from a worm drive is in the range of 20% to 30%, so to compensate the motor has to be bigger, and that means everything gets beefier, and everything gets heavier. I believe the power loss is proportional to the length of the worm gear. Cant comment about the smooth part of PCs statement.
--
joe2