resin mixing

Page 2 of 2
On 8/8/2015 11:24 AM, dadiOH wrote:

. Yeah, I recall that being about how it was explained. Catching fire would be problematic. ;~)

What about a heat gun? There's no open flame, so all you have to watch for is the self-ignition temperature.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 8/8/2015 4:33 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I was not the one doing it, that is what the pros tole me.

What about a heat gun? There's no open flame, so all you have to watch for is the self-ignition temperature.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 04:32:23 +0000 (UTC)

the manufacturer specifies 2 parts resin to 1 part catalyst

too much bother with pumps/sysringes
weighing with disposable cups is the simplest

Well, that's helpfully vague.
I'd pretty much garauntee, tho, that the catalyst is twice as dense as the resin, so 2:1 is the pretty much the same either by weight or volume.

When you buy your resin gallons at a time (or in 50gal drums, like Lew) the pumps that just screw into the can are easiest. For a one-time deal, measuring in cups is, as you say, the simplest plan.
John
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 18:44:33 +0000 (UTC)

major obvious strikes again

yeah it is hard to pour the resin out from a 50gal drum so you need a pump
are you trying to say that the pump measures the volume as well

no cleanup needed just toss it

Yes, exactly. West System, for example, sells a pump set that fits on their cans. The pump for the resin pumps 5 times as much, per stroke, as the pump for the catalyst, thus you get the correct 5:1 ratio.
John
On 8/9/2015 10:39 AM, John McCoy wrote:

soooooo. How much in a single stroke? And what if you want a smaller quantity?

Enough.

Tough, you get what you get. Find something else that needs glueing to use up the extra...
(in all seriousness, if you're using that sort of epoxy you'd likely need much more than one stroke's worth of epoxy. If you only need a little bit, get the two-tube 5 minute epoxy from Home Despot).
John
Leon wrote:

The pumps I have dispense 1 oz. per stroke. If I'm using 1:3, I pump one resin, three hardener. If I want less, I do fractional strokes.
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 15:39:41 +0000 (UTC)

definitely would save time seems to me that the big issue is to make sure your mixing is thorough

That is more a problem for what you're doing, because the product is clear. Most epoxies the catalyst is a darker color than the resin, and you can see by the color that it's well mixed.
John
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:44:48 +0000 (UTC)

that is a good feature it could be a real problem for a large pour
for me it is not a big problem because of such small batches
"John McCoy" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Are we talking about epoxy or polyester?
If polyester, then the amount of catalyst will affect the "kick" time.
If epoxy, then the part "A", part "B" must be maintained for the mix to "kick" at all.
You can affect the viscosity of the mixed epoxy by adding some denatured alcohol, up to about 5% max.
Lew
On 08 Aug 2015 21:34:57 GMT Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

no need for heat if you pour it and mix it properly
Electric Comet wrote:

Dream on. Pouring/mixing in any way do not prevent bubbles.