Resawing with a bandsaw

Hello - I'm looking for opinions, hopefully experienced ones, on resawing wood with a bandsaw. I'm new to the bandsaw world so any / all opinions are welcome. I've seen articles, books, and a video or two regarding techniques of resawing. All techniques involve using a fence, however some use what looks like a curved piece that attaches to the fence that the wood rests on as a guide. Does resawing require that much manual direction control or can I slap the wood against the fence, as on a tablesaw, and use a featherboard to keep steady pressure on the wood. I am looking to resaw wood not much wider than 4 - 6 inches wide for now. Thanks! Dave

Reply to
AM

"AM" wrote in news:1YxGd.18244$ph.12868@okepread01:

Either method works fine. A point contact fence can also be used. The subtleties are really only important if you are resawing very thin slices; e.g., veneers.

I do veneers at 1/16" with a tall straight fence about 5" wide. The important factors are the tuning of the saw (tracking of the blade, alignment of the thrust bearing and blade side supports) and the reasonable quality of the blade.

Reply to
Nate Perkins