Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

I have a secondhand, 2-drawer, faux-wood/particleboard filing cabinet, for which I need 2 replacement, plastic drawer slides for the upper drawer. I've tried Googling using the words "plastic drawer slide" and "drawer slide", but the results are not what I need. I need replacement plastic strips, approx. 12-16" long, 3/8" thick, and 5-8" wide, which can be screwed into the interior walls, on which ride the drawer that has a matching mortise (not sure if I'm using the right term -- it is a matching, female groove which fits the plastic piece).
The results I get from Google are either replacement roller assemblies, which I don't want, or plastic corner pieces -- small brackets that look like shelf supports. I don't want a roller assembly, because it might bend and warp, and because most of them don't seem to allow a drawer to fully open. I only want a couple of replacement, plastic strips, but can't find them on Google because I don't seem to be using the right search terms.
What kind of search terms or words should I use to find a seller of these kinds of pieces? Or could someone make a recommendation? Thanks.
Can you make them yourself out of wood? or maybe cut up an old plastic cutting board?
Full extension drawer glides probably wont warp and should open up the drawer completely. I get them for 9 bucks a pair at the local cabinet supply house.
Rich

On 14 Jul 2004 20:46:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Timothy Lee) wrote:

Try this, good stuff, might work: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page2045&category=3,43576,43581
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Timothy Lee) wrote in

<snip>
Every town should have a really good, independent hardware store like the one 4 blocks from my house. When I have a problem, often similar to yours, I take the piece in question in hand, walk in, and say "I need something to fix this, please."
The longer they have been in business, the better. The more grey in their hair, the better. No orange aprons.
A national treasure. An endangered species.
Patriarch
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Timothy Lee) wrote:
It may seem like a simple need but it is just a cheap item that may never have been on the open market. It is likely that you will break the drawer slikes for the lower drawer also. Do yourself a favor and look at a better quality piece of furniture. Filing cabinets are very cheap.
Dick

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Timothy Lee) wrote in

<snip>
Every town should have a really good, independent hardware store like the one 4 blocks from my house. When I have a problem, often similar to yours, I take the piece in question in hand, walk in, and say "I need something to fix this, please."
The longer they have been in business, the better. The more grey in their hair, the better. No orange aprons.
A national treasure. An endangered species.
Patriarch
Timothy Lee wrote:

Sounds like you need sheet plastic that you can cut to size. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Plastics" and you should find a jobber in your area that will have the necessary sheet. As a guess I'd try "UHMW Polyethylene", usually sold as just "UHMW".
If there's a Woodcraft in your area they'll probably have some in stock as well.
If there's a half inch clearance between the bottom of the cutout and the side of the cabinet then put in some full-suspension slides and you'll be a lot happier in the long run.
--
--John
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:24:18 -0400, The Anal "J. Clarke"

LOL! I already posted him a link to almost the exact size he needs. But you had to post what little you knew anyway, didn't you skippy.;-)
snipped-for-privacy@address.invaIid wrote:

Oh, how cute, a little boy and his sock puppet.
--
--John

I know 'xactalackly what your talking about. I have (from new-college-grad-gets-first-furniture-days) a Scandaniavan Design's (teak over particleboard) dresser with those slides.
They're plastic, with a rounded front end that fits into a groove on the drawer sides. A couple of mine have broken too.
This is guest room furniture for me now, so my motivation is low, but I poked around the usual chain stores for something and couldn't find a replacement. My plan is to make a simple replacement slide out of wood.
If you have rudimentary 'dorkin tools and skills - I think this is currently the best (cheapest, fastest) option..