Replacement Delta CS motor

Page 1 of 2

My 34-444 Delta CS motor just gave up the ghost and I was wondering if anyone knew any good places or websites to find a good replacement. Delta is currently pricing replacement motors at $250, but I imagine there's others selling Delta, Leeson and Baldor motors for far better prices. I'm in the Chicago area if it helps.
TIA jwoo

A couple of years back, I needed a single-phase motor for a Delta DJ-20 jointer. I looked all over online and such and ended up finding what I needed at Farm-n-Fleet (I'm in the Chicago area myself). Now, the motor I needed had a pretty standard 56 frame, so that made it easier...i don't know what you will need. So, my advice is to make the drive to Sycamore and visit the Farm-n-Fleet. While you're there, buy some Carhartts and a cattle prod. Afterwards, go another 10 miles and buy some wood at the Kirkland Sawmill.
todd
About how much did you pay for your motor (i know it's not the same, but still curious about the prices there)?

I believe it was in the neighborhood of $130. I also forgot to mention that it was made by Marathon Electric, who just happened to make the 3-phase motor that came with the jointer. They're also the maker of the motor on *my* Delta CS.
todd

Geez, to get from Farm 'n Fleet to Kirkland, you practically drive through the parking lot of The Hardwood Connection. That's worth a stop, too.
If you don't need either lumber place, and want to save a bit of a drive, depending on where in Chicagoland you are, there's a Farm 'n Fleet in Aurora (actually Montgomery), too.
Depending in whether CS stands for contractors saw or cabinet saw, the motor may be proprietary. Unisaw (a cabinet saw) motors are, and they're usually closer to $350.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
I'll definitly have to stop by the hardwood connection and kirkland. I've been looking for another lumber company, been using Owl Hardwood Lumber Co, for some time. It's always nice to have a few places to compare prices. BTW, my CS is contractor's saw.

know
cattle
And I did just that when I went to Kirkland. I just don't understand how they can sell local lumber at HC with Kirkland nearly half their price a few miles down the road.

Where is it in Aurora? I can't find a phone listing for it and it's not on the Blain's Farm-n-Fleet website.

todd
on 10/26/2005 10:17 AM Todd Fatheree said the following:

400 Route 30 Montgomery, IL 60538
Phone 630.801.0232
on 10/26/2005 9:19 AM LRod said the following:

I was thinking the same thing. Been out of the loop for awhile and the last time I visited the Hardwood Connection they were still located in downtown DeKalb. Ken's got a VERY nice place out there on the edge of town.
How's the selection/prices out at Kirkland?

As well as a good-sized Farm & Fleet up in Woodstock (right on US 14) and a couple of lumber outlets (G-C Sawmill, US 14 NW of Woodstock and Badger Hardwoods, US 14, Walworth, WI)

cattle
town.
I was there two weeks ago (for the first time). They had a LOT of maple, red oak, white oak, hard and soft maple, walnut, etc. You name the major local trees, and they have a bunch. I didn't price anything but hard white maple, since that was what I was there for, but it was going for about $3.29/BF for 4/4, IIRC. Before I left, I called Owl Hardwood and was given a price of $6.02/BF. When I stopped at Hardwood Connection, there were asking $5.65/BF. I was buying about 70 BF, so I saved a lot by going to Kirkland. Plus, I just wanted to check the place out.
todd
Todd Fatheree wrote:

Thanks. Good to know. Looks like I'll take a run out there next month if I get a chance to go to Hardwood Connection's open house/show

NEMA 56, 3450 1.5 HP TEFC. Original are Marathon or Baldor that I've seen. Only debate, other than price would be whether to get a cap start, induction run, or a cap start cap run.
Stay away from corroded foreign iron.
http://www.iprocessmart.com/leeson/leeson_singlephase_article.htm

Thanks for the post. More than I need to know, but interesting.

Grainer lists a 1.5 hp motor for table saws. I don't know if it is 100% compatible but it may be worth a phone call.
Since i'm in this position, would I benefit from bumping up the HP to 2 or 3? Currently mines is a 1.5hp motor. And whats the difference (or which is the best) of cap start, induction run, or a cap start cap run?

Doesn't a cap start, cap run motor have a little less vibration than a cap start, induction run device? Jim

See the Leeson list above to learn that cap/cap are better under load. Guess that would keep your blade speed better, but motor cost is higher.
As far as 2HP delivery, take a look at http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/DANotes/V-belts/intro/intro.html or calculate at http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm , noting that the tension is supplied by the motor weight. Link belt might be ok, but 2HP is about the break point to go to dual sheaves on V belts.
I did check the CF switch, but not the capacitor. Will check that tonight. Thanks for the links. Good info!

No. The physics of a contractors saw don't permit the transfer of much more power than the 1 you already have. The physics being the weight of the motor providing the tension in the belt.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

it can be done. it involves increasing tension (a spring will work, well enough) and if you get above 2HP going with double sheaves. the spring tension will vary with the depth and bevel of cut. it's kind of a pain to get set up, but it does work.
if you need that much power, consider a cabinet saw.