Repairing wood chesiels

I have obtained a good condition round socket chesiel minus handel and would like to find a source of replacement handels. However, it seems no one makes them any more - can anyone help?
I do have one wood gouge that has a great handel with a leather "bumper" on the end. I tried that and the leather just mushed out. How was this leather treated to hold up so well? One person suggested soaking it in borax, then leting it dry while compressed. Any comments?
Thanks in advance
Dave Smith
David Smith wrote:

It sound like a good excu... opportunity to get a lathe.

The "bumper" is probable rawhide.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:47:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mail.localnet.com (David Smith) wrote:

I'm not sure that anyone ever did make them. There's a replacement trade in the normal style of handle, but many of these "slicks" were sold handle-less and had handles made by their owners.

Probably just by being new. I re-handle this sort of chisel (a "registered" chisel) and I just use a scrap of thick leather. A coat of wax (Nikwax, same as my walking boots) avoids mould problems.
I believe I saw a plastic handle being sold in Brownell's for that exact purpose. You drill a small hole, heat the shank of the tool (Checkering, chisle, screwdriver, whatever) and shove it in.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p `
I am sure there are MANY other places.
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:09:40 +0100, Andy Dingley