Repairing split wood

We have a very nice dresser that was custome made. It is about 5 years old, and I noticed on the side of the dresser that it is starting to split from the bottom. It appears the split it where two pieces of wood have been joined. I don't have little experience with woodworking. I don't really want to spend the money to have someone repair it either. I have read on sites that it should be disassembled to fix. Is there anything else I can do to fix it? Also, whats a good product to keep wood from drying and splitting. Thanks

Reply to
csete.zolt

Correct, the proper way to fix it would be to disassembled it but we need to know more. You do not mention what type of wood, finish and where this dresser was made. The location where the dresser has been made and stored is not known to us. To provide you with more comments we need to know more about your dresser. You stated that this dresser has been custom made. The best thing to do is to talk to the person that has made the dresser and ask for his/her comment.

Reply to
<marierdj

I'd check with he who made it, if available. Most craftsmen of note will stand by their product.

Also, there's a huge knowledge base here, but it's hard to visualize your problem. It'd be verrry helpful if you could take some pix and post on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx