Remember in the 30s

Thinking of the guy buying a table saw...Carpenters use to come to work carrying different hand saws. I remember my uncle snapping a line and using a rip saw...back in the day...not alot of heavy guys on the job site...
On Nov 23, 4:08 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (elliot) wrote:

Yes, and they had at least 3 different hammers as well, and knew how to use them!
ya and i remember whe i was a kid alot of those old carpenter's with hand saws missing fingers. howd they do that? ross
Ross..they also used hatchets..back then, .Who knows how many fingers hatchets have separated from the owner..

Most of 'em probably lost their fingers from doing a bit of extra work around harvest time on the farms. I suspect more people lost limbs to bailers and binders than to hand saws or hammers, over any time window when both were common activities.
Colin B. wrote:

My wife's grandfather was short a few digits due to getting to close to the sows when the little piglets were freshly arrived. Yum, fingers - the other white meat...

"Baby - the other other white meat." --Fat Bastard
"Colin B." wrote:

work
window
Don't forget corn pickers.
Matter of fact a farmer cut off his arm to save himself when it got caught in a corn picker the other day, according to news reports.
Lew

Puts me in mind of the time I was at the local watering hole one night chatting with a guy who delivered for a local feed mill in his spare time who told me he'd knocked at a house he knew, expecting the wife to answer because it was harvest time in the middle of the day, and the farmer answered, in his bathrobe. Looked like he had a rash on his arms. He said "I was clearing out the combine when the sleeve of my union suit got caught and it started to pull me in. I managed to grab a piece of stationary iron so I stayed put but I couldn't move, and it slowly ripped my long underwear off my body through my pants and shirt. Took longer than you'd expect, and it was kinda painful. After it was done I drove the tractor into the yard and parked it. I'll get back out there tomorrow but I decided to take the rest of the day off."
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

... and cane cutters.
Met a one-handed Aussie cane cutter back in the sixties who'd reportedly chopped his hand off at the wrist with a cane knife after being bitten by a taipan.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/16/07