Relatively new PC stuff

Is it me or has Porter Cable shifted in to the mode of offering tools that are exceedingly large?
Their relatively new DT jig is enormous, requires about 4' of work bench to set up and use and is pretty darn deep and tall. Is this what woodworkers want?
Also relatively new is their new Pocket Hole jig. Now that seems to be a tool developed to make drilling a simple pocket hole into a complicated affair. Was the Kreg jig design simply not complicated enough? Does a pocket hole jig need to weigh 8 pounds to work well? Will we one day in the near future see a picture of the jig at a link, posted by Rob H, titled "What Is It, Set xxx"?

The PC 550 was such a beast. An awful and dangerous design. Now we use a Kreg electric Foreman. (Electric, as opposed to the air-powered one which needs a lot more air than most job-sites have on hand.)
Gee I was thinking that the PC line isn't what it once was. It used to represent top quality tools. Now I view it as getting to the consumer end. I think if you look at the Dewalt mid size router comparison to pc as the gauge of what will come. I think they have made a few too many compromises to the line.
On 3/8/2011 8:42 AM, Leon wrote:

I am thinking that they are going to move into the selling their products by the pound. Or maybe based on cubic inches. Imagine the huge blow molded cases we will see from them in the coming years. You may have to have a pickup at your disposal to buy a router!
Too many folks mistake large cumbersome tools as being powerful and "professional grade", ready to take on any project. Kind of the "Tim Taylor" effect.
I believe that PC is moving towards the consumer market, not only based on their designs, but the feedback I am hearing on their quality (or lack thereof).
My last PC tool was their biscuit machine that has served for about 15 years now, and haven't seen anything interesting in years.
Robert
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:49:35 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I kinda like the "aircraft carrier" OmniJigs. It'll be a while before I buy a dovetail jig but the 16" model is on my list.

PC seems to be schizophrenic. The 7518 is still a pretty decent router. A lot of their other tools rot now, though.

I have one of their biscuit machines, too. I'm not impressed, but it may be that I'm not impressed with the whole idea.
On 3/8/2011 8:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

For years I've used my 557 almost solely for reinforcing miter joints ... a task at which it excels, particularly with the interchangeable cutter.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Have you tried lock-miter joints?