Refinishing furniture with paint sprayer

I have a number of wood items that I plan to sand down and paint with a new paint sprayer I bought. My question is this, can I do the painting outside (rather than in the garage) so I don't have to worry about paint getting on everything? If so, do I have to worry about the dust from outdoors getting on whatever I paint? Finally, how far will the paint mist carry? I wouldn't want it to end up on my house, fence, etc.
Thanks,
Jason
The rule is: the paint will carry twice as far as you expect it to. Hopefully your insurance will cover any lawsuits.
Sounds like you are already "worried", so I'd say, "yes, you have to worry about dust".
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote on Monday 13 June 2005 03:27 pm:

Jason,
It depends on what type of sprayer you're talking about. If you have a cheap sprayer, or an air sprayer, then it'll probably end up everywhere. But if you get a decent airless sprayer (~2800-3000 PSI), the paint dries a very short distance from the sprayer (~10-15 feet). At that point, it's just a fine dust that shouldn't stick to anything.
As far as dust outside, that depends on your environment. You might want to set up a test piece and see what sticks. I wouldn't do it near dusk, though, due to the bugs you'll attract.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Thanks to Bob and Michael for the helpful replies.
- Jason