Paint Sprayer ?

I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

Reply to
James Nipper

It would be much cheaper to paint with one of those sponge gloves rather than a sprayer, and probably faster than with a brush.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Too many unanswwered questions... Do you already have a compressor? If not, it is probably not practical to use a sprayer (compressors are expensive, and non-air powered sprayers are expensive too...)

OK, let's say you have a compressor (that is big enough to spray with (say 4-6 SCFM minimum), then I'd recommend any cheap spray gun. The local flea market usually has some (new, Chinese, of course) for under $50, or a discount house (of course Harbor Freight). You may want to consider a 'touch-up' type gun if the areas are not too large, as they are smaller and easier to manage, and also cheaper.

Latex sprays just fine... Just don't get the kind that is gelled as that is a PITA to deal with. Why paint makers added gel to their latex paints is beyond me, IMHO it makes painting more difficult.

Reply to
PeterD

I got some kind of model. Drips like crazy but outdoors should be no problem

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Check out the HVLP, or high volume low pressure sprayers. These don't require as much air as a lot of sprayers. For your small needs, one should do the job. I've seen them for $35 - $50, depending on quality, condition, etc. You did not state if you had a compressor, but may be able to borrow one for this small project.

Spray light sprays, going over it several times. This will avoid dripping. Be sure to prepare the surface, sanding and brushing to remove paint that may soon peel or drop off. Take your time, and do one coat and let it dry overnight, then another. You will get better results.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Mine is a commonly seen buzzer sprayer. I use a compressed sprayer also, but they all require very thin watery liquid.

I have not used it lately, but I got a roller feed system. Long hoses to clean, but it works for me.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Rent one. Most Hardware Stores/Paint Stores/Rental Agency........... john

I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

Reply to
jloomis

You can buy a Wagner sprayer and get many advantages:

  1. you learn new swear words
  2. you get to spend more time in the sun than other methods
  3. you get to teach your family new swear words
  4. latex paint makes for a good nail polish (rest of your hands two)

Or go to a tool rental place and get a Graco airless sprayer for a day or two. You can buy them, but the price starts at about $400.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

given this information, I'd rent a good one. You'll pull your hair out if you buy a cheap one.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You don't want anything driven by compressed air. The wagner stuff is crap. Paint fed rollers weight a ton and in short order your arm is tired. There are some entry level graco sprayers that you could use for home use basically forever. Or check craigs list. The house painting business is like a lot of home improvement businesses, a lot of small companies that are always going out of business. These days they sell their used equipment off on craig's list.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The airless sprayers will work. However, I would use a brush or sponge applicator. When doing spindles, you are going to put a lot of paint in the air and often not enough on the spindles.

Reply to
RonB

gregz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.or g:

of course,he could RENT a professional style paint sprayer,the kind that feeds direct from the 5 gal.paint bucket. No thinning needed.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Wow , what a bunch of helpful replies !! No, I do not have a compressor, and if I now choose to use a sprayer I will rent one as suggested here.

The sponge glove sounds interesting for the spindles.

After reading all posted remarks, I am leaning away from the sprayer, and will think more about a brush, sponge applicator, and sponge glove.

Thanks to all of you... the comments were all very helpful !!

James

Reply to
James Nipper

I'd have to disagree with that. It would however be a good way to have uneven and early paint separation from the uneven coats to use a glove. And straight painting is a no-braiiner; fast and easy as long as your compressor prvdes ehough air volume. Cleanup is also quick with a sprayer.

Reply to
Twayne