Record Hand Planes

I have been away from woodworking for a couple of years (not by choice). I used to buy my Record hand planes from Garrett-Wade but they don't have them. Is the company out of business?

I bought one of their low angle block planes for about $35 around 2000 now the cheapest I can find is $99 from Lee Valley.

Have prices really gone up that much on hand planes?

San Edwards

now in St. George, UT

Reply to
Sanford

There's a big split in the market now.

The "normal" plane makers are pretty much dying.

Planes are now either cheap "use once" handyman grade, or premium (drool) grade. There are very few buyers in the middle.

The $99 block plane from Lee Valley is a dramatically better tool than anything record have made in the last 40 years.

(they once made a #18 which was very, very good, hence the 40 year qualification)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

The Irwin conglomerate has now made some drastic business changes, and has destroyed both the Record company and the industrial Marples company. the Jos. Marples company still is there, as private. Irwin continues to make the Blue Chip chisels in the Irwin name, who knows if they've changed that good steel to some- thing cheaper. But, new Record anything is no longer being made. There is one business in Germany that still has NOS Record planes for sale, no doubt at marked up prices

. I saw ?79.xx for the 60 1/2.

Irwin is actually in the Rubbermaid conglomerate. Vise Grip is now under Irwin as well, very sad shit.

they also destroyed the Nooitgedagt tool company in Holland!
click that and see it all. I'm sure they had a fine point on that one! Luckily I got out of eBay with two new wooden shoulder planes made by them. Super cheap too.

From now on, when I need a new plastic item for household use I will go to the .99? Vietnamese super store. The plastic is just as bad as Rubbermaid's anyway.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Yes, I see. Well now that I am retired I can't afford the drool kind so I'll make do with what I have. I wish I had bought a few more of Steve Knights planes before his prices went up.

Never did like Rubber Maid anyway.

San

Reply to
Sanford

Reply to
DIYGUY

hey they never went up that much (G) but you can always ask for a deal.

Reply to
Steve Knight

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:17:31 GMT, Steve Knight calmly ranted:

May I have one of each for $10?

Oh, wait, I already HAVE one of each. ;)

an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You could still check antique stores and e-bay... or other people's shops, for that matter. I got a fairly nice Bailey smooth plane from my dad's basement for nothing because he had absolutely no use for it, and no idea how to use it even if he had. Took me a while to get it back into working shape, but it shaves fine enough to read newsprint through now (after a little help from some more experienced woodworkers, that is) I've also seen quite a few old Stanleys for $25 and under at thrift sales and junk stores. It's kind of a lost art, so people don't know what they have anymore.

Reply to
Prometheus

Here's a Record 60 1/2 you can bid on, in fine shape:

AAvK