Recommendations for places to buy hardwood online

Page 1 of 2
Anybody had good experiences? I want to try making a few small boxes out of nice hardwoods, so the pieces don't have to be real big.
-- -Jim
If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam
www.woodfinder.com - let it do the work for you. I've used Sandy Pond, Berea Hardwoods and Good Hope before. Good experiences with all.
Gary in KC

of
Check out Wall Lumber Co. I have gotten excellent results from them. They have good buys on "project wood" in small amounts that I have not seen anywhere else. I just built two chairs with ash from them, some of the best wood I have ever worked with. I am not related to the company in any way, just a happy customer. GCS
www.walllumber.com
No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Mutt.

Sounds like two people like this business and good for me and my ideas considering my local resources! Site doesn't work right now "The page cannot be displayed", try it out and get back on it here?
Alex
Works for me using Netscape 7.1 8/31 7:25 AM CST.
AArDvarK wrote:

yeah I got it later, thanks. Alex
Thanks all, I'll try some of these. Anybody used any of the eBay vendors?
-- -Jim
If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mutt) wrote in message

Are his prices gross or net tally? Jana
someone said:

Wall lumber is good. Hardwood store of Carolina is also good. Bad experience with West Penn hardwood. Would have suggested Hartzell Woodstock but they instituted a $15. surcharge for orders under 50 bd. ft.
I have had VERY good luck with: http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com / They deliver a good product. They don't skimp on the board footage. They are pleasant to deal with.
--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me

These people are great to work with and have the best prices around that I have seen.
Scott

Hi Dave, Thank you for taking the time to write this. If my memory is correct, you're from GA and ordered brown ash. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again, Jana
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) wrote in (munged).
My question: I've tried looking at the website to see how to order things for shipment to NJ, but couldn't really find an order page at <http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/
I have to order by email or phone?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:
[snip]

Drop them an email. Jana will answer rather quickly. I am waiting (impatiently) for a bunch of white oak from Hartzell. Found dealing with them simple and straightforward. :-)     mahalo,     jo4hn
<snip>

Thanks, Jo4hn!
--
Best regards
Han

Yup, it is I. I had the bad experience down here in Georgia of being charged a 17% surcharge on wood for planing and shrinkage. If you take a board that is 12" X 3/4" X 12" up to the front desk, you get charged for 1.17 board feet. If you are buying 300 bd ft, that is quite a hit. I ordered 300 bd ft from Hartzell and ended up with a bit more than 300 bd ft. The tractor trailer delivered it quickly.
--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me

Interesting concept. Of course there is a loss for planing and a cost for doing it, and nothing is free. Can you pay the list price on rough cut stock?
I have two sources that will joint and plane my wood purchases. The service is "free", but the cost has to covered in there someplace. I guess it is a matter of perception and actual prices. If the going price for oak is $3 and they charge $2.50 for rough cut and $2.93 for the planed after surcharge, it is a good deal but you are unhappy with the surcharge. If they charge $3.50 for rough and do the planing "free" you have a big happy smile while getting porked in the rear.
If they are charging $3 and then adding 17%, it is probably fair, but the perception is not. Ed
wrote in message

service
Not that it really matters all that much, but the last statement I don't agree with Ed. If they're charging $3.00 for a finished good then the price should be $3.00. A surcharge on a finished good that adds a surcharge for the "manufacturing process" is like buying a car and then paying a surcharge for the robotic welders, the paint booths, etc. Or, like marrying a woman and paying a surcharge for all of the years that went into developing her into what she is when you marry her... oh wait, we do that, don't we. Ok, I won't ague the point any further.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

OK, a little clarification that should have been added. If the price of rough cut is $3 and the price of S4S or S3S is $3 plus 17% that is fair. It should be stated that way on the price bin or huge sign in the warehouse so you know where you stand when you choose your boards. The total price is still a fair price in the marketplace (cost of wood plus cost of labor).
My point was that how the charges are handled is really important. If you bought top quality oak at $1 and they charged a 17% surcharge you are probably going to be PO'd but if the lumber yard down the street that sells it at $5 and offers free services like planing, you walk out with a smile even though you paid a much higher price.
Buying a car, it is rare that anyone wants the parts delivered so they can do the welding and painting at home. With wood, it is often the buyers choice. As I stated, I can have my wood planed for "free" but sometimes I don't accept the option and prefer to do it myself. If that is the case, the seller make a bit more profit from me.
I'm going to the shoe store later today. Legally, the can't put a surcharge on the price if I use my charge card. If I pay cash, they give me a discount though. Ed