Recommendations for places to buy hardwood online

Anybody had good experiences? I want to try making a few small boxes out of nice hardwoods, so the pieces don't have to be real big.

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Reply to
jtpr

- let it do the work for you. I've used Sandy Pond, Berea Hardwoods and Good Hope before. Good experiences with all.

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A

Check out Wall Lumber Co. I have gotten excellent results from them. They have good buys on "project wood" in small amounts that I have not seen anywhere else. I just built two chairs with ash from them, some of the best wood I have ever worked with. I am not related to the company in any way, just a happy customer. GCS

Reply to
RESPITE95

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Mutt.

Reply to
Mutt

Sounds like two people like this business and good for me and my ideas considering my local resources! Site doesn't work right now "The page cannot be displayed", try it out and get back on it here?

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Reply to
Mark L.

yeah I got it later, thanks. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Thanks all, I'll try some of these. Anybody used any of the eBay vendors?

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

Reply to
jtpr

Are his prices gross or net tally? Jana

Reply to
Jana

Wall lumber is good. Hardwood store of Carolina is also good. Bad experience with West Penn hardwood. Would have suggested Hartzell Woodstock but they instituted a $15. surcharge for orders under 50 bd. ft.

Reply to
TomL

I have had VERY good luck with:

deliver a good product. They don't skimp on the board footage. They are pleasant to deal with.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

Just curious, what was your bad experience with West Penn? Was it the product or the shipping? I've had good luck with them, but they're only

50mi. away, so I shop in person.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

My first order had quality issues. Some cups, bows and warps. I phoned them and was told it would be made up in my next order. Several weeks after I called in another order and reminded them of their promise to make up for the poor quality of the first. I was told the order would go out within the next 2 days. I'm only 2 UPS days away from them so when I did not receive the order nearly 2 weeks later I phoned again. I was told that they had a person out sick for a few days and my order was 'probably lost'. Canceled the order and purchased through Hardwood Store of Carolina.

Reply to
TomL

These people are great to work with and have the best prices around that I have seen.

Scott

Reply to
vmtw

HI Tom, The $15 would be the "handling" part of shipping and handling. This basically covers cutting everything to help reduce shipping expences saving the customer more than $15 but costing us that or more in time and waste. I'm going to give you one example. Someone orders 10 bf of brown ash which was on sale for a year @ $1.60. That's $16. My profit should be about $7. I pay someone to take it out of the bin, rip it to size, and take it to the mail. That's $4 in wages minus the footage I paid the farmer, cutter, skidder, trucker, sawyer, and dry kiln. Not to mention, I never have actually charged that when it comes down to it. I also havn't been paid for samples either. It just helps weed out the people who want you to build a kit for them and send them free wood. Hope you understand my side. Jana

Reply to
Jana

Hi Dave, Thank you for taking the time to write this. If my memory is correct, you're from GA and ordered brown ash. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again, Jana

Reply to
Jana

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) wrote in news:156b8f23.0409010719.225cc033 @posting.google.com:

I'm not Dave, but anyways ...

Just subscribed to the email newsletter as snipped-for-privacy@verzon.net (munged).

My question: I've tried looking at the website to see how to order things for shipment to NJ, but couldn't really find an order page at

I have to order by email or phone?

Reply to
Han

OK. Thanks for the answer. As I said, I shop in person, so it's a different situation.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Jana, I do understand your side so why not increase your prices a bit to allow for your overhead? $1.60 is a great price for brown ash, but the buyer pays more than the $1.60 after the 'handling' charge is tacked on. If I go to the grocery store in response to an ad for an item at a low price, I do not expect to be charged additional for the bag in which my items are placed or for having the packer pack my items. From what I've read here in this Forum, Hartzell is an honest, reliable resource for woodworkers. I have no reason to doubt that but the handling charge kinda sticks in my craw. As for the sample seekers, I leave that up to your business acumen to weed them out and/or charge them accordingly. Possibly you could charge for samples and then deduct those charges from future order? Legit purchasers should not have to underwrite the samples.

Reply to
TomL

that's in the US. surprised the heck out of me when i was charged for bags in stockholm the first time i went into the grocery store.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer