Recommend table saw for hardwood floor installation

Page 3 of 3
A non-powered miter jis can get the job done if there is no plan of woodworking afterward. Fringe benefit is excercise.
On 14 Jan 2005 08:42:05 -0800, "Joydeep Buragohain"

On 13 Jan 2005 18:11:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.net wrote:

In almost all cases, you have to rip flooring for only one wall of the room you are flooring. So unless you have truly large rooms, the likeli- hood is that you will have to rip a maximum of 30 feet of wood. Buying a table saw for 30' of cuts sounds excessive. If I *were* to buy a tool just for this that would be safest, it would be a band saw anyway. But beyond that, one has the option of finding someone with an existing saw.
Another, which takes a bit of work, but can be done reasonably safely, is to mark the boards, clamp each one on end, saw down to the mark witha sharp manual saw say evey 2 feet or so, then clamp the wood flat down and rip with whatever saw you have and keep reclamping the wood as you move along. I used a heavy conventional circular saw for this, running the flooring strips between two tables with a second strip a few inches away to provide more surface for the base of the saw. If I were to do this now, I would buy a cheap & light 18 volt and use that instead.