Really stoked tonight!

Tonight I finally got to use my new jointer (8 inch Delta, DJ-20) the way it was intended. After egde jointing dozens short boards I needed to egde joint a 12 foot oak board that I will use as a transition piece from a tiled floor to the wood floor. I was a bit concerned that I would mess it up but after a few passes with a minimal cut I got the results I wanted. Nice square egde and very straight. The jointer never wobbled (unlike my ancient Jet 6 inch that I replaced) Good tools make it all so much more fun.
Marc
marc rosen wrote:

Yes they do. Unfortunately you can't convince folks that the garbage they picked up at The Home Decrap isn't as good as a used piece of quality equipment they could have purchased for about the same $$.
Most people, upon deciding they will get into woodworking, plan to do it in about a year. In that year, they will search/wait for good deals on used equipment. First, of course, they have to study up so they can tell if they re getting a good deal on usable machinery or paying to much for junk.

That type of task is exactly why I bought a DJ-20... When you flop an 8-16 foot long board on the jointer and know you will get good results you quickly forget the price. I recall trying to edge and face joint 8 foot boards on my previous jointer and struggling... it was a 6" model where the total combined table length was about the same as the in-feed table on the DJ-20. It's the architectural woodworking where the length really shines... For my furniture projects the lengths are generally much shorter but lots of width is nice--a DJ-30 would be nice. ;~)
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Check this one out. Be warned though, you may find your DJ-20 just became inadequate.
http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id#83
A.M. Wood wrote:

Don't get me wrong though, the DJ-20 is an awesome machine

If I really needed a wide jointer I've got access to a 24" American (brand as I recall) at a commercial cabinet shop... I think the tables on that are 8 feet long.
However, with hand planes like my L-N 7 I can take care of everything in my shop.
John
Yeah, that is a nice looking jointer too, but I was able to get the DJ 20 down into my basement. If I had bought the DJ 30 or equivalent it would be living in my garage. Getting the 20 downstairs (poured, outside, concrete steps) was a bit scary. Glad I was watching two trained professionals at work