Re: Workbench: Upper & Lower Stretchers or Lower Stretchers Only

I had both, Tom. After handplaning, chiselling, routing, assembly, etc. I didn't think it was overkill.

Jim

While on vacation I read Scott Landis' workbench book. A workbench is > my next major project. The vast majority of the benches he describes > and the four with "plans" all only have a lower stretchers. I just > assumed workbenches would have had both upper and lower stretchers to > resist the racking forces, especially since most of the benchtops are > held down by just gravity. > > So, poll to the wreck. Do you have both upper and lower stretchers, > or lower stretchers only. I'll include "midway" stretchers with the > lower only, but I plan to put a cabinet under the bench (a separate > slide in rather than part of the structure most likely, for > portability reasons) so my lower stretchers will be LOW (therefore I > think I'll need uppers as well unless this is total overkill).
Reply to
Jim Mc Namara