Re: What's the price of wood these days?

Do cabinet shops use wood? I thought they used man-made stuff. I'm sorry to hear about any of them going out of business... : (

It still seems to be all about location, concerning price. I have been stocking up on wood cheaper than I can remember ever paying anywhere from what I consider to be one of the highest priced places to buy wood.
And some of the places that have always been high are higher still.
We are in late stages of finishing out a house in Southeast Kansas. We dug the hole last August and moved in, unfinished, during March When you break "wood" into categories of construction lumber and finish hardwood products prices are generally down from our bids of 16-18 months ago.
Construction Lumber - All dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x6, etc) was delivered cheaper than bid. Recent trips to the lumber yard seems to indicate prices have dropped even more since last autumn, but not much. Nearly all of the sheet goods (Ply, OSB, etc,) was delivered at the bid price. I credit part of the price decline to a very good lumber dealer who works hard to keep his customers happy.
Hardwood - The SE Kansas and SW Missouri area is full of Oak, Walnut, Pecan, Hickory and similar hardwoods. I don't believe the prices for these materials has changed much in the past three years. However I did pick up 150 bf of Red Oak a couple of weeks ago and it was slightly cheaper than the mills price list. But based on conversation, I think he gave us a good price knowing we would be back. In other words, they were feeling the pinch too.
We have two local "cabinet shops" and both are very busy. O

Weird. That message sent itself in the middle of a keystroke.
We have two local "cabinet shops" and both are very busy. One is a small family-run operation that has a good reputation across the four- state region. His wife said they think they are picking up slack for some shops that have gone under. The serve new home builders as well as schools, businesses, etc.
The other is an anomaly. In this tiny, land-locked community in the dead-center of the continent, we have a company that builds interiors for yachts. Apparently they are among a fairly small number of companies in the world that do this kind of work and it is eye- popping. Their cabinetry goes into boats in the $2M and up range and they have outfitted some in the $40M range. In addition to cabinetwork they do a lot of the project management that it takes to get a yacht into the water. They travel world-wide to meet with customers, usually the yacht manufacturers. A year ago one of they were thinking they were recession-proof. One of their guys said "Folks who can lay out $10 to $40M on a yacht aren't worried about the price of gas or food." I don't think they would say that again but they do remain quiet busy with plans to expand during the next fairly soon.
RonB wrote:

That's a common story in the construction business. The good guys are staying busy with the slack left by the opportunist's who were forced out by the the downturn.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

In the last 6 weeks I have purchased close to 100 BF of Red Oak for $1.99 per BF,, Basically S4S. Basically, because it is still random width but both edges and sides are parallel and relatively smooth. If you measure 6.25" on one end, it is 6.25" on the other. I can get S2S Red Oak from my regular supplier for $3.10 per BF.
Go figger.

Yeah, I paid $2.00 near Pierce City Mo. He sells pallets of "cabinet oak" for $1.65/bf. These are clear, 6" wide or smaller, and 5-6' lengths. Intended primarily for facings.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:41:10 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools

I have found that wood prices greatly vary, depending on where you get it. Some are $0 per board foot, some way overpriced. There are good deals to be found, but that is largely opportunity. Recently, got a great deal on a load of butternut (about $3 bf). A lot of supply and demand in buying/selling wood. Cherry seems to be holding demand, better values in maples, oaks and walnut.