Re: What is it? LVI

Page 1 of 2

315 Skeleton keys 316 Spoke wrench 317 Puzzle If the top piece is turned over, it will fit into the stack, forming a cube. 319 Auto valve stem cover.
* R. H.
315 keys 316 317 Soma cubes 318 Oar fork for rowing boats (whatever such things are called in English)
319 320 old thing to remove isolation from electrical wires
--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto: snipped-for-privacy@ifi.uio.no

the word you are looking for to describe 318 is rollocks
* snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.xcom.xau

Are you sure. Could not find that word using dict, but rowlock was there:
rowlock n : a holder attached to the gunwale of a boat that holds the oar in place and acts as a fulcrum for rowing [syn: , , , , ]
But thanks anyway.
--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto: snipped-for-privacy@ifi.uio.no
Jon Haugsand wrote:

I think oarlock is more common. Never heard 'rowlock' before.
--

FF

Oarlock is an Americanism. Rowlock is the Brit equivalent.

Agreed. Rowlock is a masonry term. A row of brick laying on edge capping the top of a freestanding brick wall is a rowlock.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

The spelling is 'rowlock' but it is pronounced 'rollock'. Much as 'gunwale' is pronounced 'gunnel' or 'boatswain' is pronounced 'bosun'.

A friend worked on the tall ship Gazella, and once gave me a tour. After a while I caught on that things like "midsil" were actually the mid SAIL.
I developed a theory that, when on deck with your face encrusted with ice and your pearly whites clattering together, shortening words as much as possible becomes a biological necessity. :)
--
Tim Mullen
Tim Mullen wrote:

'bosun'.
Well, that explains Balmore, MD. It's a port city.
--

FF

But in the area closest to the docks, it's "Bal-TEE-more".
result in a fully-depreciated one.

"rowlocks" is how it is spelt "rollocks" is how it is pronounced
;-)
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:05:08 +0200, Jon Haugsand wrote:

There's also "oarlock", but that doesn't look like one. It looks kind of like the Y from a stethoscope.
CHeers! Rich
The word is rowlocks, pronounced rollocks
A bit like boatswain and bosun
--
Roy Dennis
Stay up to date in The Deepings, visit

Damn. I thought it was a tuning fork.

No, it's true.
(boom boom)

Oarlocks
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

315: Keys to warded locks.
318: dipstick
320: Looks like a bypass cutting tool that might have been modified for a specific purpose.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

_quite_
This one is marked "A. Dudley Mfg. Co., Menominee, Mich., Pat. May 29-94".

Ayup. that confirms it. high wheel bicycle spoke wrench.