RE: Time Will Tell

Page 3 of 3
I learned that trick charging ni-cads on my RC airplane. How to have the batteries ready when I fly only 1 mourning a week. This keeps the battery from over charging or 'burning out' also.
I have my emergency power for 12v and jumper cable power box this way. I my 11" telescope power pack for the RV wheel set this way.
Works. Martin
On 10/20/2014 2:43 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Pilot lights, in this case LED night lights are always optional in a control system.
They earn their keep by providing information in a fashion that is easier to get and use than without them.
In this case, they provide information about the status of the charging system from several feet away.
The timer is large enough that if you plug it directly into a wall mounted duplex receptacle, you will block at least one receptacle, maybe more from a 2 gang duplex receptacle configuration.
The only way to resolve this problem is to add an extension cord to allow remote location connection of the timer.
These days, the cost of a 6 circuit switched power outlet strip is just the lowest cost extension cord available.
SFWIW, the timer is not being used in a normal fashion.
You program a single 5 hour "ON" time cam once and forget it.
I used a toothpick to get around my fat fingers problem.
No attempt is made to calibrate the timer to the "Real World" time. It's not relevant.
You are only interested in a 5 hour chunk of time.
The pilot lights provide this information in the blink of the eye at a cost of about $5/pair for the LED night lights.
To each his own, but I'm willing to make that investment.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
The major drawbacks to the Harbor Freight cordless drill is the recharge time (3-5 hours) and there is no indication that the battery is finished recharging.
Below is an automatic shut off circuit using standard shelf componets.
Enjoy.
Lew ------------------------------------------------------------------ Go one better. Add a manual 7 day timer, plugged into the 24 hour timer. If you set it so it starts a one day 6 hour cycle when you start the charge, the same thing happens. It charges and shuts off, but since it will only run the 7 day timer for 5 hours per day and then stop, it will take about a month before the charger (plugged into the output strip of the 7 day timer) to start. No need to switch it over. Letting it charge once per month or so will keep it full.
Old rc'er trick. 1, 6 circuit switched power outlet strip. 1, Manual 24 hour timer with two switched outlets. 2, LED night lights.
Directions:
Program the timer to be "ON" for 5 hours and "OFF" for 19 hours.
I used "ON" at 00:00 (midnight) and "OFF" at 5:00 AM.
Plug timer into power outlet strip.
Plug an LED night light into power outlet strip.
Plug an LED night light into 24 hour timer outlet.
Plug the 24 VDC "WallWart" from the Harbor Freight recharger module into a 24 hour timer outlet.
Plug 24 VDC plug from the "WallWart" into the Harbor Freight recharger module and insert battery to be recharged.
Plug power outlet strip into a source of power.
Rotate timer cam until it just touches the "ON" cam.
Turn the power outlet strip "ON".
The LED night light plugged into power outlet strip should turn "ON".
When the cam turns "ON", the LED night light plugged into a timer outlet will turn "ON" and the RED and GREEN lights on the battery charger will turn "ON".
After 5 hours, the timer will turn "OFF", the LED night light plugged into timer outlet will turn "OFF" and the RED and GREEN lights on the battery charger will turn "OFF".
At this point, turn the power outlet strip "OFF".
The LED night light plugged into power outlet strip should turn "OFF".
Remove the battery and allow to cool.
NOTES:
The timer only allows the recharger to be on for 5 hours and then turns "OFF" for 19 hours.
It will recycle if you haven't if you haven't turned off the power during that 19 hour period.

I don't blame you. I have a set of the 12V (drill, impact driver, and driver) and two each of the 18V drill and impact driver. I wouldn't trade them for all the cordless tools HF makes. BTW, I also have a couple of the HF drivers that have been sitting on the shelf from the day I got them. Junk.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

So how do you explain Mike's confusion about this? I don't think he is lying. I won't argue the point that the HF drill is a good value for $16.99. krw, why do YOU say they are Junk?
Wow... has it gotten really slow around here or what?
Robert

My experience and his are different. What's unbelievable about that? I weight performance more than price.

So that $10 timer pays for itself in... 100 years?
I know, though. A little flour, a little butter, a little milk and pretty soon you're talking real dough!
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 10/25/14, 10:45 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Power is billed by the watt-hour. The conversion is pretty simple. ;-)

Saving on the big stuff is one thing. The trivia, not so much.

I would argue greatly with that point. Now days, there are many China batteries tat are only slightly better than a pile of dog crap, for taking a charge and releasing it. Low amp hours and short life. Some are OK, but there are some out there that are very bad. DAMHIKT.
You get what you pay for, usually.
--
Jim in NC

On 10/22/2014 10:32 PM, Morgans wrote:

Reputable rebuilders that want to be around for a few years will use good material They leave the junk for the shoddy shops after a quick buck.

Funny, I have the same story. My 30 year old and newer 25 year old Milwaukee circulars are still running strong. Nothing but cords and switches replaced. I finally greased the gear boxes a couple years ago because I felt guilty...
--
Jim in NC

On 10/12/2014 8:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Or this looks like an unbeatable deal, lifetime warranty, Impact, drill/driver combo, 12 volt 4.0 amp Li-Ion Ridgid $99.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9000SB/205374283