Re: The Soft Wreck ?

Page 3 of 4  


Perzactly. Let the proposal pass or fail on its merits. It ain't gonna change anything here on the wreck except perhaps reduce the number of complaints.
djb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Agreed.
I was strongly considering an "abstain" but after reading Robert Bonomi's addendum/correction to the explanation of what is required to pass the proposal, I'll abstain from abstaining and just ignore the entire thing. No need for my "abstention" to require two additional "Yes" votes to pass something I don't care about, either way, anyway.
If they, whoever "they" might be, want to create another group, separate and independent of the Wreck, who am I, as a completely disinterested party, to say "No". From that point of view,seems like 'twould be best for me to just ignore the whole shenanigan.
Unless of course, I've missed some ramification of the process and need to be educated on the same.
But, on the other hand, a "Yes" might help those with chronic underwear waditis find some relief. Has anyone made a study of what percentage of OT posts/threads are posts/threads whining about OT posts/threads?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
calmly ranted:

Hey, I'm baby blue. But thanks for the thoughts anyway, Lar. You're dead on with the "who cares"--another ww'ing group is no different than a sewing newsgroup to wreckers. If they're interested they'll check it out, if not, so what?
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That was not the proponent's choice. That is the standard format. RFDs are posted to all groups in the distribution list, but the follow-ups are REQUIRED to be set to news.groups only.
--
Bill

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

When the Rationale is such as to constitute an attack on the general conditions of an existing entity, it would seem simple courtesy, in my view, to post, in parallel, a message that allows personal response.
I've little interest in the technical considerations surrounding the establishment of a newsgroup - I am stupefied by the fact that this person, who has so little history with the Wreck, would seek to appropriate its norm de guerre.
If what we are is so much anathema to him, why not differentiate his proposed group via nomenclature, rather than seek to borrow that which is not his, by either participation or consanguinity.
Regards, Tom.
Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

He actually had no choice other than to obey the norm. Proponents submit RFDs by e-mail to the NAN moderator. It is the NAN moderator who posts the RFD, and sets the follow-ups to news.groups. That's another reason why the proponent's name on the RFD's from header says "Vito Kuhn", but his direct posts to the newsgroup say "VK".
Like I said, Tom, I haven't made up my mind on this proposal. I know for sure that I will not be voting "yes", because I have no desire to read any moderated group..especially a moderated woodworking group, when we already have a great WW group right here.
--
Bill

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It misses the point. Outside of all reference to the vagaries of the system - there is the simple human duty to address the accused directly.
Regards, Tom.
Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A little bit off topic but did you just buy a new thesaurus there Tom....? ;^)
John Emmons

are
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:02:05 GMT, "John Emmons"

I thought that a "thesaurus' was an extinct species.
But then, I thought that "effete" was a franco-pedestrial reference.
Regards, Tom.
Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Tom, my vocabulary is currently not up to par with yours, buddy, but I think I get your point. ;-)
--
Bill

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If he don't like us - why try to take our name?
Regards, Tom.
Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
calmly ranted:

He wants the good stuff without the OT. Is that so strange?

You mean it won't be here after he copies it? Oh, woe is us!
<sniffle, sob, HONK>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade! ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Generally, those interested in reading the group should vote "yes". If you are not planning to use the group, the right thing is to either not vote, or to write "abstain" on the ballot. If you want a moderated woodworking group, but feel that the proponent has not fixed any major technical problems in the proposal, you should vote "no". You shouldn't vote "no" if you simply have no interest in a moderated woodworking group. It is complicated, but any news.groups regular will tell you the same thing. The CFV is an interest poll..to see if there are enough interested parties to justify creating the new group.
At the end of the CFV, the names/handles of all voters, with e-mail addresses (munged) and whether they voted "yes", "no", or "abstain" will be published and posted to all newsgroups on the distribution list. The results will be posted right here in the wreck.
--
Bill

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Art ~
I'm with you 100%. I would like to point out that rec.crafts.woodturning is unmoderated and just about all the posts relate to the use of the lathe, with very few of the inane topics that appear in this ng.
Perhaps it is because woodturning is more of an art than "flat woodworking" and a somewhat higher class of people are attracted to it.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nah. They're just trying to recapture their early childhood experiences with the teacher's pencil sharpener. Oooooow! Neat... the wood just turns into shavings..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Perhaps it is because woodturning is more of an art than "flat woodworking" and a somewhat higher class of people are attracted to it.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
Those of us that don't do turning are therefore low class? Hey Edgar, drop the Sir. You are too full of yourself.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A pretty high attitude from a webtv user....
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Art ~
I'm with you 100%. I would like to point out that rec.crafts.woodturning is unmoderated and just about all the posts relate to the use of the lathe, with very few of the inane topics that appear in this ng.
Perhaps it is because woodturning is more of an art than "flat woodworking" and a somewhat higher class of people are attracted to it.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
Mister Ed: Or perhaps the turning group is so small that it attracts a less than critical mass of opinions. You've drifted into rec.woodworking with these simplistic opinions before. Has anyone kept you from expressing them? No? That's our strength here- a free exchange of ideas.
Bob

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Absolutely true. However, the weakness is the added content of "I wanna start doing stuff with wood. Should I buy a table saw or a hammer?", and a clear predominance of *way* off-topic garbage discussions, all of which require an IQ somewhere around 30 [being generous] and zero wood skills.
Bill.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That is exacty right. It has nothing to do with turners being of a higher class and flat workers being of a lower class.

I agree, but I've never considered anyone here to be lower or higher class than anyone else. That, Mr. Bob, would be an insult to everyone here. Is turning an art? Probably, but it does not mean the artist is lower or higher class than anyone that is not. Ed
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.