Re: Suggestion on a Radial Arm Saw

The Rigids are good for the price. If you want to pony up more $$, you can get a Deltla or an Original (old DeWalt designs) model.
GTO(John)

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Thu, Aug 28, 2003, 9:45pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@mer.net (hsdfh) Wanting to buy a radial arm saw, but the only ones I can find are the Sears and Home Depot (Ridgid) brand. Any suggestions? ****************************************************** My suggestion is to go with the Ridgid. If you wait long enough, Home Depot will no doubt be having a clearance sale. On the other hand, you probably can find a good used DeWalt like I bought, advertised in the for sale section of your newspaper.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
hsdfh wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

Dewalt or maybe an old craftsman, maybe.
Rich
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK.

What ever you finally decide on consider using miter jigs instead of moving the arm once you get it set up so it is cutting accurate at 90 degrees, there is a link to some here: http://sawdustmaking.com/Radial%20Arm%20Saws/radial_arm_saws.html Frank C.
Purchase a used DeWalt and you don't have to worry about moving the arm!
--
Rumpty

Try looking here:
http://www.originalsaw.com /

Same here, but mine is almost 25 years old.
However, the newer Sears RAS designs don't seem to be as good. The arm mechanism flexes more and the carriage doesn't move as smoothly.
A good plan of attack might be to look for a used one at yard sales and auctions. The vintage might be hard to determine, but one visible difference is that my RAS has iron rails that the carriage runs on versus stamped metal on some of the newer models.
You can get an old sears (the older the better) for no more than $200 and sell it for about the same. It may be all you need or you may want to upgrade. In any case, you can learn it and find out what you need. I wouldn't be without mine! Wilson

Sears
I'm sure Bay Area Dave can give you some advice on brands.......