Re: SHAKER LAP DESK

Oh I completely agree - in later years, some Shaker designs flew right in the face of the millenium laws - quite fancy. Some of the structures took on a highly decorative Victorian look. While it was indeed contructed by Shakers, it is not in the true "Shaker Style".
I suppose what gets me, is it seems everywhere you look today, magazine publishers and woodworking book authors throw the term "Shaker" around when it is for the most part quite unfounded. The logic seems to be "prove that they didn't have / use this" as apposed to the design being based on something on display at Hancock or Pleasant Hill, etc.
Brian

Which settlement was it where they gave the original office building a makeover and went from "classic Shaker" to San Francisco Victorian Gingerbread.

Brent Beal wrote:

Not much. http://www.bartleycollection.com/accessories8.htm
Not intended as a lap desk, anyway, but as a desktop writing aid.
B Man wrote:

As far as I can tell, the rule goes something like this: If it has carving, it is Victorian. If it incorporates steel (or other "white" metal) as part of the aesthetic, it is "Modern" or perhaps "art deco". Otherwise it is Shaker.
Of course, the whole genus-of-furniture thing borders on silly IMO.
PK
Paul Kierstead responds:

carving, it is Victorian. If it incorporates steel (or other "white" metal) as part of the aesthetic, it is "Modern" or perhaps "art deco". Otherwise it is Shaker. <<
Let's not forget Craftsman/Arts & Crafts/Mission if it has dark stain and mostly straight lines.
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Charlie Self"

Except in the UK, where we don't have the 1st or 3rd and our "Arts and Crafts" has more gingerbread on it than Hansel & Gretel's place.