Re: Restoring #8, part 1 (w/pics)

David F. Eisan wrote:

Not at all. A little surface rust, and the iron is almost history; but otherwise it looks good. Check the front of the mouth for wear. I have a T11 #5-1/2C whose iron was worn shorter than your #8's. The front of the mouth had become slightly concave from use. Not necessarily a problem in a jack but maybe troublesome in a jointer.

Double gloatin' are ye?
Cheers, Mike

There is a large pit just back of the knob, but way before the throat. I have not checked for flatness yet, but I will lap it anyway. This will be a good user jointer...

I was thinking about getting a new Hock chipbreaker, but this one looks in better shape than I thought it would be.
David.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:57:13 -0500, "David F. Eisan"

I usually take some #400 sandpaper to them and see whats underneath! Usually it just is a matter of simple cleaning and lapping