Re: Removing threaded inserts?

Have some threaded 10-24 brass inserts that have to come out.

>Besides drilling them out... > >Any tricks? >Tools? >

they are far more fun to remove then put in (G) use some super glue on a bolt to long it in place and see if you can unscrew them that way. super glue is pretty easy to remove when your done.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Installing usually involves screwing them in, either with a screwdriver or a hex wrench. Am I missing somethin? Why not just back them out?

.
Reply to
Dave W

Ditto that but use perhaps a grade 5 bolt or better. You certainly would not want to twist the bolt head off.

Reply to
Leon

If they're press-fit, you'll have to drill them out.

If they were screwed in, it seems you should be able to remove them with the same tool you used to install them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If they are threaded inserts, put the smallest nut possible on a bolt the correct size, thread in the bolt and wedge it in by tightening the nut against the end of the insert, turn the bolt out.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Many of the threaded inserts have a screwdriver slot in the top of the insert take a look and if it does just use a screwdriver to back them out. Larry

Reply to
larry in cinci

he is using 10-24 so it is possible. hell I have broken enough grade 8 1/4-20 bolts when I used them to drive in threaded inserts.

Reply to
Steve Knight

press fit is easy as long as the material behind them is strong. just use a screw and drive it in and keep going it will lift out the insert as long as it does not punch through the material.

Reply to
Steve Knight

those slots are about useless they are usually way to weak to work. only if you use steel insert you may get away with it. most out there are brass and they will not hold up. I have driven I don't know how many thousands of inserts in. they are far easier to put in the get out (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight