Re: Removing threaded inserts?

On 31 May 2005 18:18:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

they are far more fun to remove then put in (G) use some super glue on a bolt to long it in place and see if you can unscrew them that way. super glue is pretty easy to remove when your done.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Installing usually involves screwing them in, either with a screwdriver or a hex wrench. Am I missing somethin? Why not just back them out?

Ditto that but use perhaps a grade 5 bolt or better. You certainly would not want to twist the bolt head off.

he is using 10-24 so it is possible. hell I have broken enough grade 8 1/4-20 bolts when I used them to drive in threaded inserts.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If they're press-fit, you'll have to drill them out.
If they were screwed in, it seems you should be able to remove them with the same tool you used to install them.
--
Regards,

press fit is easy as long as the material behind them is strong. just use a screw and drive it in and keep going it will lift out the insert as long as it does not punch through the material.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If they are threaded inserts, put the smallest nut possible on a bolt the correct size, thread in the bolt and wedge it in by tightening the nut against the end of the insert, turn the bolt out.
Many of the threaded inserts have a screwdriver slot in the top of the insert take a look and if it does just use a screwdriver to back them out. Larry

those slots are about useless they are usually way to weak to work. only if you use steel insert you may get away with it. most out there are brass and they will not hold up. I have driven I don't know how many thousands of inserts in. they are far easier to put in the get out (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes