Re: Raleigh NC workworkers advisory for Capital Lumber

Rest assured it's everywhere.
Needed enough cherry for three 1/4" X 3/4" by 48" strips for inlaying a table top. Sent SWMBO by the local hardwood place to pickup one cherry board between five and six feet long and two to three inches wide. She comes back, to spec, with a cherry 1" X 2" X 5' piece and hands me the invoice for $9.00 ... that's $10+/bf!
I'm already starting to view my "scrap pile" in a new light ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/16/03

Yes he is, a very nice guy with excellent prices. Nice selection of wood too.
All the hardwood dealers in Raleigh, that I know of, are excessively expensive (2-3X the price of other hardwood dealers in the state)
--
McQualude

Are there any south of Raleigh, down toward Benson or Fayetteville?
McQualude wrote:

How about recommendations for "real" hardware store? From which you buy nails/screws in pounds?
TIA.
Pinwu
not hardly wrote:

Pinwu Xu spaketh...

Try Burke Brothers Hardware on Hillsborough St. near the fairgrounds. You used to be able to buy by the pound (or buy just one) there. I haven't been there in about 2 years.
--
McQualude

not hardly spaketh...

TE Johnson Lumber 3872 Old School Rd Four Oaks
Mr. Johnson is a real nice guy, but call first to check availability. He has quite the operation.
--
McQualude

thanks, i get over to 4 Oaks quite often but have not been in. sounds like it is time
McQualude wrote:

Thanks Art, I had forgotten he was out there. his prices are more in line with the hardwood store (some higher, many lower) and I will have to give him a try. Do you know the volume he keeps on hand?
BRuce
snipped-for-privacy@spam.com wrote:

BRuce spaketh...

I had exactly the same experience on mahogany. The worst part is that they are the better of the hardwood dealers in Raleigh, but I won't buy from them again. I either go to Gibsonville or in a pinch I'll use East Wake.
There is also TE Johnson in Four Oaks, but when I went looking for walnut he sent me out to look. His wood is stored outside (acres) and has turned so grey I had a tough time telling species apart. He would probably be a good choice for construction grade hardwood.
--
McQualude

I work at a lumber yard. There is no such thing as scrap.
Neil