Re: Places to buy S4S 2x4s?

I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be

>precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the >corners/edges must be square. > >Any national (USA) stores that stock S4S 2x4s? > >I have found one online, a plenty long piece (1-1/2" x 3-1/2" Poplar >Lumber 2x4) for less than $20 including shipping. That's doable. > >
> >Thanks.

When you speak of 2 x 4s, you generally mean construction lumber. No, you won't find any with square corners. Most do carry other wood for finish work but usually it is 1" boards.

Your best bet is to contact wood suppliers such as the link you supplied and ask for wood cut to the size you want. You may also be able to get them from a local saw mill, but they may be rough finished.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Or - you can buy a common 2x6 and run it through the table saw to get the edges square. Much cheaper.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Excellent Idea

Alternatively rough cut cedar construction lumber. The local HD is stocking this for out door Pavilion, Pergolas, etc. Sorta like regular cedar fence pickets.

BUT much more expensive than cutting down 2x6 material.

Reply to
Leon

You could glue 1x boards together face to face to get any thickness you need. Maybe glue up a couple of 1x6's and rip them to the desired 3-1/2" width after the glue dries for nice straight edges. It would probably be flatter and more stable than a 2x4 anyway.

Standard 1x4 lumber is available at any home center. Nothing exotic but you should be able to find pine, poplar, oak, cedar, hemlock, etc.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

John Doe wrote in news:nc8c3k$b41$1@dont- email.me:

This is kind of contradictory statement. When you say "2x4", you're speaking of construction lumber. When you say "S4S" you're speaking of cabinetry lumber.

In your non-answer to Mike, you implied you need the wood to be very flat. Whether by that you mean you need it flat, or you mean you need it smooth, or both, is unclear.

In any event, the answer to your question is no, there are no national stores that stock what you need.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

+1, done this before, glue it and clamp it and good to go.
Reply to
FrozenNorth

sharp edged corners or square faced

kiln dried will be square faced but square sharp corners is a different kettle of fish

you might try contacting a sawmill directly but if you need just a couple that would not be feasible

but sometimes they can oblige if you have the $$

Reply to
Electric Comet

Kiln dried studs, kiln dried framing materials, kiln dried decking material s, and on an on... all available and have rounded corners. That makes Mike 's suggestion make even more sense as kiln dried wood is available everywhe re, so cutting square corners by ripping would a 5 minute job.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41