Re: Painting unfinished furniture

If you have good spray equipment and are skilled with it, I believe you will get a superior finish by spraying.
I really have to wonder why you would varnish over paint... I would use a water based poly and spray it on. An oil based varnish is going to change the perceived color of the paint and might look pretty bad, especially if the color is light.
Good luck.
Woodchip

about applying the paint (latex). Is it better to spray or brush? The furniture is currently in my garage, so I do not have to worry about paint getting on other items.

Paul Andersen wrote:

Or one o' them trigger gun gizmos for a can of Cheapass spray paint. Saw my boss using one of those, so I bought a set. I can get close to the kind of results I would get with an airbrush, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a spray rig for doing big jobs. One of the few impulse gadgets that actually works. :)
dbf wrote:

about applying the paint (latex). Is it better to spray or brush? The furniture is currently in my garage, so I do not have to worry about paint getting on other items.

I would shy away from latex. In my limited experience painting some shelves with the same semi-gloss latex I used for the trim, I find that things are still sticking to the shelves and leaving marks almost 3 years later. You may want to try something else, considering that an entertainment center usually houses some fairly hefty, heat producing components. Unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions for a good alternative. Possibly an oil based enamel? Somebody around here will know though.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD