Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Page 6 of 8
T. said:

Hey, I resent that. I'm only 45 and I remember ALL of them.. Had most of that stuff in our home, and we drove a Studebaker. I even remember the phone number, Hemlock 5-4093.
45 is NOT older than dirt, 66 is. <g>
Greg G.
Greg G responds:

Hell, my first car WAS a Studebaker. Traded it on a new '57 Chevy convertible...first year of the 283s.
I haven't got a clue what my phone number was back then, but it did have a name instead of numbers.
I can wait until next year to be older than dirt (66), but I recalled all the blinking items and owned a bunch of them, even gulped down the colored water in the wax bottles--and chewed the wax.
Charlie Self
Hell, the first car I stole was a Studebaker.
The first phone number I remember was my grandparents in 1949, "0384", eight party line without a prefix. The only thing on the list I wasn't familiar with was BlackJack chewing gum ... as a fledging and debonair bon vivant, I only chewed Double Bubble.
I personally can't wait to get to 65, five more years, so I can get some property tax relief.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

I think here, too. I'll have to check. I know in VA, I get a $12,000 exemption for living this long. Good reason to report next year's income from there!
Charlie Self

Bringing the discussion back on topic (well, almost!), my Milwaukee Delta bandsaw (also from 1949) has a sticker on it from the hardware store in Middleton NY, with the phone number 8993.
--
Alex
The four digit phone number is a while back but not that far. Living in Manassas VA in about 1973, local phone calls still used a four digit number.

CW writes:

It was still in use within its own calling zone in Bedford, VA in 1988. I think it was '89, maybe '90, when we got a lot more convenience...I could dial England directly, but could no longer dial my up the road neighbor with 4 digits. Had to use 7.
Somehow, that never computed, particularly since it had been 30 years since I knew anyone living in England.
Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.

This is one of those "old time" things I can't really relate to. Growing up in New Jersey, the home of Bell Labs, our phone system got all the latest and greatest stuff early on. I remember "Direct Distance Dialling" in the early 60's. We could dial our own long distance, even overseas, without any operator intervention or even dialling a "1" first. To the best of my knowlege, you still don't dial a "1" for long distance in New Jersey. Maybe that's changed. We got "TouchTone" a few months after I saw it at the New York Worlds Fair in 1964. I never even heard of 4-digit dialling until I was an adult, and then it was in an historical context. I had heard of, but not experienced, a party line until I moved to Virginia in the late 1970's. After 25+ years I've finally gotten used to the "1" for long distance.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
Bill Ranck responds:

Yeah, my mother used to have the no "1" dial in Dobbs Ferry, NY many years ago. I stayed with her for a month (only seemed like 6 years to both of us) when my first marriage broke up, so I found that out quickly. Same in an earlier apartment she had in Yonkers. I got used to that quickly, then moved to Bedford, VA where you needed the 1 and could still use 4 digits to get the neighbor up the road. Hell, it's faster to walk up and talk to him than to dial him in these days of "mod cons."
Another historical context: when I was living in Albany, NY, and later the same year ('72) in Milton, WI, I could sequence dial by calling the operator, giving her the list of numbers I needed, then each time I finished a call, she dialed the next one for me. Great feature when you needed 10-15 calls in a row, and jog dials don't replace it.
Course, that was back in the days before I took diuretics to keep the blood pressure down.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

My mother was a telephone operator back in the 30's. I remember when dear old Ma Bell introduced 3-way calling, and she said that was no big deal, she could do that for people on her switchboard back in the day, but it was against the "rules" because the operator had to stay in the circuit to make it work. Of course, the switchboard she worked probably didn't support dial phones at all. But, I wasn't born then.

Shhh! I've been avoiding my doctor so I don't have to hear about my weight and blood pressure . . . ;-)
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

During college (1980 through 1984) I worked in the Bureau of Business Research at West Virginia University. For some reason a project was being done that required collecting and reviewing the telephone books from all of the independent telephone companies in the state. I was amazed at the number and small size of the independent telephone companies still operating. My favoeite one had a one page typed "phone book". The first number listed was "The Pay Phone". No location was given or apparently needed. I assume everyone knew where "The Pay Phone" was located. Everyone had a 3 digit telephone number. I believe that this was in 1983. I never did understand how you called someone from outside their little telephone company switch.
The community where my mother grew up got outside telephone service from the C&P Telephone Company during the late 1960s. Until then, the only telephones were on a single wire to which all phones were connected. There were NO telephone numbers - you knew whether the call was for you based upon the number and length of the rings - still used hand cranks to generate the rings, too. One person at the end of the line had a connection to an outside telephone and could somehow connect it into the local "peanut line" if someone needed to make or receive a call with the outside world. Dave Hall
Steeping switches pretty much a thing of the past, but they're what made such things possible. We've still got a firebar with 20 volunteers on it, though I have to wonder how they're accommodating that. Went to seven numbers in late 80's.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) writes:

Ah, the good old days!!!
What about Glenn Miller, the Ink Spots and Skitch Henderson's Band? Now don't get me going.
Was watching a move the other day that brought tears to my eyes all over again. It was about a Dish type TV antenna in Wells that was used for Apollo 11's moon landing pictures. I was one of those glued to every picture. Not that long ago. But boy was I proud to be alive to see that.
Roy
I have the Ink Spots and Glenn Miller on old 78s. The still sound lousy.
Glen
"Roy Neudecker" wrote in message >

Roy Neudecker said:

And don't forget Spike Jones and Benny Goodman. I had a collection of old 45's (45s for those who don't believe in such punctuation) and an RCA 45 changer, and a homemade monaural <gulp> tube amp. <g> There was also a piano player, I forgot his name, that played Autumn Leaves. Wish I still had them...
Greg G.

Ah yes, Spike Jones. Use to get a great laugh at his "playing around".
By the way, Autumn Leaves was Johnny Mercer.
Roy
I remember when 45's were the new fad and not likely to replace 78's.
When I placed my first phone call I was five. I cranked the handle and told the operator, "Rosalie, I want to talk to Mama." She rang my father's grocery store, where my mother had gone for a few minutes..
We didn't have dirt until I was about ten. Who knew it would get to be a big thing?
Lionel
My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even be 30 yet. Damn.
Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.
1. Blackjack chewing gum 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers 7. Party lines 8. Newsreels before the movie 9. P.F. Flyers 10. Butch wax 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933) 12. Peashooters 13. Howdy Doody 14. 45 RPM records 15. S&H Green Stamps 16. Hi-fi's 17. Metal ice trays with lever 18. Mimeograph paper 19. Blue flashbulb 20. Packards 21. Roller skate keys 22. Cork popguns 23. Drive-ins 24. Studebakers 25. Wash tub wringers
If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!
JOAT Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - Sir Winston Churchill
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Oh my God, 22! I am older than dirt.
BTW, I saw BlackJack gum in the store just yesterday. It's baaaaaack!
Glen
[...]

Yeah, I got 22 of them also, and I'm not sure that the other three aren't victims of CRS.

That's one I don't ever remember seeing, but have heard of it. What surprised me about 4 or 5 years ago was I actually saw candy cigarettes in the checkout line at the grocery store!
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
Nice thread, JOAT. In the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" a young man meets regularly with a former mentor of his who is dying. At one point he asks Morrie whether he misses being able to do many of the old things. Morrie replies that he doesn't, because he has done so much and remembers it well. The memories are important, of course, but the doing of the old things the first time makes for a rich life. This is one very big reason why I am a woodworker: the memories have substance.
Bob