Re: OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

Page 2 of 8
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

beginning to smell bad. But I've resisted complaining since I inflicted the smell on others for 45 years :-).
BTW, my cardiologist said I could have a cigar once a month. I've been doing that for the same length of time. People ask how I can do that and not smoke more - I don't know but it doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact, I'm probably cigar free till the weather warms up - I don't smoke them in the house :-).
But if I make it to 80, I plan on quitting exersizing, getting out my pipes, and puffing up a storm!
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

I never smoked and was never tempted to do so, but everytime I hear one of those blasted PSA anti-smoking ads, the urge to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes sweeps over me. I guess it's because those ads are a) stupid, b) condescending, and c) take the idea of government as caregiver in the role of "mother knows best" to the extreme.
Mark & Juanita responds:

Or a bunch of teenagers running around giving advice and taking up petitions.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

When the gov't first mandated the "warning" messages on cigarette packs, my father (a *non-smoker*, and a marketing professions), was known to express the opinion that the various manufacturers should run the following notice on the opposite side of each pack, same style, lettering, etc.
"Mortality Rate For Non-Smokers: 100%"
Care to guess how long the "warning" mandate would have stayed in effect, in the face of _that_ ?? People wouldn't be able to stop laughing. <grin>
And, if the gov't tried to ban such a 'counter-notice', just imagine the fun in the courts -- the statement is absolutely truthful, and a legitimate exercise of 1st amend rights. Highly doubtful it would even get to the appellate court, let alone the Supremes.
'Cause they tried that once. Worked as well as the "war on drugs".
It's caused

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

the price with taxes. I wonder how much cigarette smuggling (state-to- state) has increased in the last few years?
I live near the ID-WA border. When I smoked, I always went to ID to buy them. If I'd been willing to drive a little further I could have bought them at an Indian reservation and saved even more. But the revenuers watched for WA license plates at the rez :-).
There is no crime that outrages a government more than tax evasion :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

year", but a percentage of risk increase related to exposure time.
I've only seen one such set of numbers and that was many years ago. I have no idea how accurate the numbers were. But, IIRC, according to them, exposure to second-hand smoke in an office environment over a working life of 40 years increased your chances of getting lung cancer by one in 10,000. BFD!
I don't remember any numbers on the increase in risk for other smoking- related diseases, but I'd expect them to be lower than the lung cancer risks.
And, as I've said before, I don't smoke.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm says...

Don't have the cite at hand, but apparently a recent study by the WHO determined that second-hand smoke had no measurable affect on mortality. This study was not widely publicized because its results do not support the WHO agenda or goals.

Nor do I, and I don't like being around smoke. The implementation of smoke-free workplaces, IMO, is simply making things much more civilized for those who don't smoke. OTOH, the extremes to which the anti-smoking folks have taken this crusade are disconcerting.

When a six pack of Bud costs $15 let me know.
Cape Cod Bob responds:

Respond to what I wrote, not someone else's response to you.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
On 03 Jan 2004 20:04:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie, I thought I did, but realize I was overly succinct. Yes, there is a campaign against drunk driving and under-age drinking and package/ad "warnings" . But, when they tax alcohol to the same extent as tobacco, I will believe that there is a serious public support against drunkenness. However, that will not happen as the grain lobbies have a lot of political clout.
On Dateline last night, they had a story about dieting. One of the dieters said he'd most miss his 14 to 16 cans of beer A DAY! Everyone chuckled at his consumption. The guy is an alcoholic and it's not cute, manly or humorous. If he had said he smokes 4 packs of cigarettes a day, there would have been consternation and ridicule.
Cigarette prices range from as low as about $20 to almost $50 a carton across the US totally because of taxes aimed at deterring smoking. The variation on alcohol taxes is almost non-existent.
I just don't understand it.
Cape Cod Bob writes:

No. You responded to someone writing about public service announcements. That was NOT me.

I don't think so. Cigaret companies have far more clout than farmers, even the corporate farmers who supply boozemakers. The entire structure of tobacco allotments screams of political pressure, and these small farmers have tremendous clout politically, though no one seems to realize it. Try pushing for reforms in any kind of subsidy that affects small farms. Incredible how fast conservatives can turn into people who solidly believe in entitlements...their entitlements.

I guess. I've seen people who have to be alcoholics, but who live a useful life, never create problems, have decent or even good jobs, raise families and on. I'm not exactly sure where the line is--14 to 16 beers a day should keep the guy right on the 0.08 blood alcohol level, but if he does it right, he'd never go over. About one an hour, assuming a slightly larger than average person. Is that an alcoholic? Probably. Is he doing any harm to anyone other than himself? Probably not. Once you answer that second question, you take it out of "Is it any of my business?" and stick it into interference in someone else's private life.

Why does the variation bother you? I'd be just as happy if they tripled the cigaret tax and stopped the damned public service ads. Same for booze. Triple the tax, especially on beer and wine, and get the PSA crap off the air where those of us who don't drink get stuck watching it many times a day if we watch any idiot box at all. Or if we drive down the road and look at billboards. Or open a newspaper or magazine.
I'm so sick of government propoganda on various subjects, I'd like to see that taxed out of existence.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

HELLOOOOOO! Earth to Bob!
Alcohol is *already* taxed more heavily than you can imagine: the overwhelming majority of the retail price of beverage alcohol is taxes.
Compare the cost of a gallon of denatured ethyl alcohol at Home Depot to the cost of the equivalent amount of beverage alcohol (e.g. a gallon of Everclear, two gallons of 100-proof vodka, 2.5 gallons of 80-proof brandy, eight gallons of wine, or six cases of beer).
Even *cheap* wine, at two bucks a fifth, is still *very* expensive alcohol: eighty dollars a gallon. Just in case you need this spelled out for you, a gallon of wine contains only about a pint of alcohol.
[snip]

You fail to understand largely because you don't have the first clue what you're talking about. "Variation [between states] on alcohol taxes is almost non-existent"?
Come back when you have a clue.

The pols might sell these taxes as trying to "deter" smoking, but in reality it is just a currently socially acceptable means of raising money to spend on pet projects and re-election spending. Got a deficit? Raise cig taxes- the only ones who will bitch are smokers and everyone else loves to hate them, clearly fewer votes lost than would occur with an income tax increase.
Dave Hall

Alcohol isn't the problem there, it's irresponsibility. Aided and abetted by a comprehensive failure of society to treat drunken driving as the serious crime that it is. Drunken driving isn't nearly the problem in Europe that it is in the US, largely because the legal system here treats it as a minor offense.

Oh, you mean those densely populated grain-producing states like Nebraska, Kansas, and the Dakotas?
Maybe you ought to count them yourself. You might be surprised. While you're at it, you might want to check which states grow tobacco, since you apparently don't know that the list includes Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

ROTFLMAO!
Have you ever heard of emphysema and lung cancer?
Check the statistics, and see what kills the most people.
[snip]

yourself. I'm not going to do your research for you.
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:04:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote: HEAVY SNIP

I have tried to find stats but have been unable to. The problem in not finding hard numbers, I suspect, is because of many factors including 1) alcoholism affects so many conditions besides cirrhosis that statistical ties are impossible to substantiate 2) Excess drinking is still considered as damn near "cute" except when it involves driving 3) Public acceptance etc etc.
> > The most obvious answer is that you don't need to worry about exposure to > second-hand beer. > I beg to differ. I once had the guy at the next urinal piss on my shoe.
B.

Reminds of the times when I was young, stupid and single. Hang out in honky tonks. Go in the john and be damned glad you were wearing high heeled boots--and wish the soles were thicker.
Charlie Self "I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." Zsa Zsa Gabor
Charlie Self wrote:

You should have tried the *ladies* room.
I used to think women were neater until I worked in a honky tonk. Sure, the men's room would have newspapers stuck to the floor with piss, but that was *nothing*.
The women used to break into the cabinet under the sink so they could get the toilet paper out, then they'd flush the whole roll, back everything up. They did this on purpose, and they did this *often*.
Nothing like wading into a sea of... Well, just use your imagination.
There were a couple of times when I took the mop back to the boss and told him he could do it himself, and I didn't give a damn if he fired me.
He never fired me.
Drunk women are NASTY!