Re: OT: followed a link posted here and now trouble

I've used Norton's and several Spyware killers, but to

> no avail.

Not all spyware killers are created equal, and some actually contain or propagate spyware or adware of their own.

The best one I've used is Spybot Search & Destroy. Be sure to download the latest updates. You'll want the first three items from the download section on this page.

Jim Wilson

I've run Spybot, AdAware, Spysweep and spyware begone, all found spyware that the others missed. One even found a dialer that for the life of me I can't find. Another found ISTbar in a directory that don't exist inside my temporary Internet directory. I just turned off windows messenger so I am hoping it is that. Otherwise I don't know I may just reformat and reinstall everything. ;-(

Reply to
KYHighlander

Now that you've got the big stuff out of the way- consider getting a pop-up blocker if you didn't already do that as part of your first round of cleaning. I use Proxomitron, but as that one's deadware, you'll have better luck with web washer or ad subtract.

/vic

Reply to
Victor Radin

You've done everything but the System Restore. Why not try that before a reformat????

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Think it has been solved, I think the messenger was the culprit. I stopped the msmsg.exe process and then deleted the directory that messenger was using in the program files directory. seems to have worked.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Good that you were able to disable the Active X pop-ups. I am posting a URL for your perusal. You can add it to you bookmarks if you want to go back to it again:

this helps someone....

Philski

Reply to
Philski

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

"Hi-Jack This" "KYHighlander" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

to reveal hidden directories edit the line in the address bar thusly:

if it's: C:\windows\temporaryinternetfiles

change it to: C:\windows\temporaryinternetfiles/

(add the forward slash...)

Reply to
Bridger

Do you do that from DOS or windows explorer? don't seem to work inside explorer.

Reply to
KYHighlander

from within explorer. you might not have any hidden directories, although it sounds like you probably do. microsoft keeps making it harder and harder to work on it's precious piece of shit browser. I wouldn't be surprised if they have killed that particular work around in one of the recent service packs.

I read that trick on a windows annoyances type of website. a little sleuthing on the web should get you started.

method using the command prompt is discussed here:
as always... google is your friend.

Reply to
Bridger