Re: OT: followed a link posted here and now trouble

KYHighlander wrote...

Not all spyware killers are created equal, and some actually contain or propagate spyware or adware of their own.
The best one I've used is Spybot Search & Destroy. Be sure to download the latest updates. You'll want the first three items from the download section on this page.
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
Jim
I've run Spybot, AdAware, Spysweep and spyware begone, all found spyware that the others missed. One even found a dialer that for the life of me I can't find. Another found ISTbar in a directory that don't exist inside my temporary Internet directory. I just turned off windows messenger so I am hoping it is that. Otherwise I don't know I may just reformat and reinstall everything. ;-(
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Jim Wilson" < snipped-for-privacy@paragoncode.com> wrote in message
KYHighlander wrote:

You've done everything but the System Restore. Why not try that before a reformat????
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
Good that you were able to disable the Active X pop-ups. I am posting a URL for your perusal. You can add it to you bookmarks if you want to go back to it again:
http://interact.brighton.ac.uk/is/interaction/ia.php?action=story&id 030728112800&searchtext Hope this helps someone....
Philski
Dont Do That PLEASE!! well unlell you like extra work.....lol Try That "Hijack This" 1st Tony D.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:00:58 -0500, "KYHighlander"

to reveal hidden directories edit the line in the address bar thusly:
if it's: C:\windows\temporaryinternetfiles
change it to: C:\windows\temporaryinternetfiles/
(add the forward slash...)
Do you do that from DOS or windows explorer? don't seem to work inside explorer.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Bridger" < snipped-for-privacy@cox.net> wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:04:22 -0500, "KYHighlander"

from within explorer. you might not have any hidden directories, although it sounds like you probably do. microsoft keeps making it harder and harder to work on it's precious piece of shit browser. I wouldn't be surprised if they have killed that particular work around in one of the recent service packs.
I read that trick on a windows annoyances type of website. a little sleuthing on the web should get you started.
http://www.blackviper.com/index.html
a method using the command prompt is discussed here: http://swatit.org/bots/gtbot.html
and as always... google is your friend.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net says...

Now that you've got the big stuff out of the way- consider getting a pop-up blocker if you didn't already do that as part of your first round of cleaning. I use Proxomitron, but as that one's deadware, you'll have better luck with web washer or ad subtract.
/vic
Like Hell It Cant!! Dont reinstall IE, should not have to. Tony D.
wrote

"Hi-Jack This"

the plugins?