Re: OT: Best $1000.00 Notebook PC?

cartridges.
is
the
First off, MIS is a very reputable company and they sell high quality dye and pigment inks. All of their carts have a full ink load.
The point I was trying to make is that you can buy another printer (any CIS compatible Epson) for the cost of a set of Lexmark carts or slightly more. Spend a bit more, get better speed and slightly better print quality. Keep the Lexmark but use the new printer with a continuous inking system for most of your printing. Based on your current $62 expense every two weeks, you'll save over a thousand dollars a year in ink costs, and with better print quality than the Lexmark. Even if you don't go with a CIS system, with another more common printer, you'll have access to much lower pricing for ink carts, in which the savings will pay for a new printer in a month or two.
As a photographer I do a lot of printing. I use CIS's with all my printers, and in three years I've saved about $6500 over what I would have paid for Epson ink carts. Not only that, but MIS ink is more consistent from batch to batch than the OEM inks, and the MIS pigments inks offer much better lightfastness.
mp writes:

I guess the 4 I got were just flukes. Maybe so.

I am just glad that 99% of what I shoot goes in books and magazines and not through my printer. If it looks OK on screen at 100% in PhotoShop, it's ready to go AFAIAC.
Most of my printing is research off the Net and Autosketch drawings. The drawings aren't too bad, as they're mostly flat colors, but the Net stuff is a true PITA. You absolutely never can tell what it will look like or how much ink or paper it will take.
I'll give the CIS stuff a shot most likely, but not until I'm out of this place adn back in civilization. I've got enough crap to move already, and we're out of here in one month, I hope.
Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas
On 31 Mar 2004 17:14:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

HP has them for as low as $699 (retail) now! Amazing.

OKI, I think, had one you used for 1,000 copies and then had to replace the drum and all for $250. (The original price of the printer was $350.)

Grab an old HP5P laser. For $200 or so, your toner carts last around 3,500 pages and replacements are $50 or less. I've done over 12k copies on mine, including making polyester plates for a friend's Multi 1250 printing press for several years. It was (is) my first laser and I adore it. I would have bought the Lasermaster 2400 if funds allowed. ;)
I got my HP 700c out tonight and will need to replace the $30 color cart on it tomorrow so I can print some color photos for Mother Dearest. Inkjets are way too expensive for everyday use. The ink is something like $2k per gallon in cartridges. Feh!
Anything will work to print out wooddorking plans, but lasers do it much more crisply.
--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE --------------------------------------------------------------- - http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -